Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

shimano XTR m987 brakes

Has anyone tried em yet? What's you guys take on these new brakes? I know some people dont seem to like magnesium and 2 pieces caliper much. I dont like the idea of being stuck with the shimano icetech rotor, I want to run my own rotors, 6 bolts.

My sram groupset is disapointing me over and over with parts breaking up without much use so I will have my next bike mounted full XTR, the only thing im not sure about is going with the XTR m987 brakes or what seems like a very reliable a trusted version, the m985 ones.

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    987s are just a cheaper and lighter design. They figured out how to make it lighter, but apparently 1 piece forged wasn't the way to do it. Don't know why people don't like Mg. I don't know how you would be able to tell the difference. Its a brake caliper.

Not sure what you mean about having to use an ice tech rotor. Just like every single other disc brake you can pretty much use any rotor you want with the correct caliper mounting adapter.

Shimano also makes ice tech versions in 6 bolt, although I don't believe with any of those fins. However the original Ice Tech design with Aluminum sandwich but no fins is still a top quality rotor and is quite effective for heat dissipation.

I have not used the 987s but I have a 985 caliper on my front with XT levers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    the issue with the rotor was more toward heat dissipation as people seem to say magnesium does'nt dissipate heat well and could cause some issues with the brakes. I suppose the main heat issue comes from the caliper rather then from the master cylinder. There is not much info on the web on the new brakes and the very little info I found had people question the design and material of the new brakes, saying it *could* be a performance downgrade from the m985

Im far from a brake expert so I do need a few advices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Only the brake caliper is made out of Mg. The rotors remain SS-Al-SS sandwich, or just solid SS for the cheaper ones.

As far as thermal characteristics go, I have just done some quick eyeballing of Al and Mg. The two pure metals have basically the same molar heat capacity but Al has about 60% higher thermal conductivity. However I think heat capacity is more important here.

In the intended operation of Shimano's Ice Tech brakes, the caliper itself absorbs relatively little of the heat generated. This is because heat is carried away in the rotors and with the finned pads. The caliper is shielded from the heat by its ceramic pistons which have poor conductivity.

At the bottom of a good descent, my rotors will be hot all the way to the spider, the fins on the pads will burn you but you can still touch the caliper. I wish I had a thermographic camera. The system works really well.

Both Aluminum and Magnesium alloys have reduced yield strengths at higher temps of 200-400F, but I don't really think this is much of a problem for brakes. I've never heard of someone's caliper just breaking from pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    great.

what do you think of the forged monoblock design versus 2 pieces design on the new model?

mtbr member
    I was doubting between the M987 and the M988 - the M985 was never an option as the i-spec clamp was the old 'type A' and would not be compatible with the newer i-spec 'type B' shifters.

Ended up buying the M988, in favor of the polished look, servo-wave, i-spec type B and monoblock design (which should result in a stiffer caliper). The magnesium brakes are painted, and from past experience (Avid, Magura) paint doesn't hold very well on magnesium : it chips and flakes off easily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If anyone has experience with the new MY2014 BR-M987 Race brakes, don't hesitate to share the information here.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    I had my hands on them last week at Bike Motion Utrecht. Very nice made brakes, the carbon levers are very solid. The magnesium of lever / caliper seemed to have a clearcoat finish.

Lever stroke is the same as the current BR-M985 Race. The stroke of the trail brakes which I currently own, is a lot shorter and firmer compared to the Race brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the information. After a few weeks of usage, could you write us how this brake performs? Thanks a lot!

Actually my biggest concern is the long-term reliability because of the ceramic pistons which are moving in the softer magnesium calipers (early versions of Avid XX brakes had a similar concept and so many issues were reported - however, issues probably came from the synthetic brake fluid + magnesium combo, I don't know).
    I think I will wait 2-3 months for the first tests, we will see, how this brake will perform. If it will be good then I choose the XTR Race, if not, the 985 Trail version. (Saving some grams would be very good but reliability is more important.)
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    im in the same boat but will purchase soon. Right now, 985 can be had for 180$ on the net VS 230$ for the 987.

Im just not sure I can justify the risk of going 987 after seeing how the 985 was such a success. There is too little information right now on the new brakes

mtbr member
    My LBS told me these have a delivery date of January 31. Anyone hear otherwise?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Already out in Hong Kong, but still waiting the SM-SL98-B XTR I-Spec Upgrade Kit.

F:190g (uncut 1000mm hose), R:206g (uncut 1700mm hose).
    Last edited by cwcheung; 11-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    any idea how much it cost in hkg?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any more updates on this brake? Building up my new bike and looking for some 987 feedback. I share all of semmiho's concerns regarding this option. I have had the 985 and they are great. The other option for me would be the 988 trail but I don't really feel the need for the extra adjustment and since they would be going on an S-Works Epic would prefer the more race oriented version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi, new here.

I've had a set on my new custom build 2014 RM element for three rides.

So far, there are great. I've ridden xtr 988's before and they are not quite as good but very close. I didn't weigh them however have no reason to doubt that they are 40 grams an end lighter than the 985's. I'm using 160 mm xt icetech rotors.

A great improvement over my magura mt8's in feel, power and reliability so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bh78 View Post
    I've ridden xtr 988's before and they are not quite as good but very close.
    The new BR-M987's are not as good as the 988's, or the other way around?

How's the lever stroke before making pad contact? Longer compared to the BR-M988's ?

How about the power build up compared to the 988's?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    The new BR-M987's are not as good as the 988's, or the other way around?

How's the lever stroke before making pad contact? Longer compared to the BR-M988's ?

How about the power build up compared to the 988's?

Thanks
    The 988's have a little more power, that's all.

Free stroke seems about the same - bare in mind I did not ride them back to back.

From my experience, consider the 987's a very worthy brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bh are you using ice-tech rotors? I have non-ice tech shimano rotors on the bike in question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes mate xt icetech 160mm.

The carbon levers are also very solid. Not a hollow profile like you'd expect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been trying to purchase these since October, every month the release date seems to get pushed back....? Whats going on? Are there issues? Every bike shop I have called has said they are not available yet. When I called Shimano in Sept they said Oct , when I called them in October they said November....
    I am located in California...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2014 S-Works Epic, Era, and Stump HT's are shippimng with them now.

mtbr member
    any more people have time on the new m987?

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have set up a few on S-works at my shop. I havent had any trail time on them though. They seem to be a downgrade in power from the Servo style brakes(obviously) and one brand new Stumpjumper appears to have a leaking caliper.

I set on an employees Santa Cruz Highball Carbon tonight, but it was raining and I couldnt bed them in.
    ill report back tomorrow after I get some time on them.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any folks with experience of the M987's think they'd be ok on a trail/enduro bike with bigger rotors? Trying to figure out which would be best, I have a set of M987's but not sure whether to flog them and go with M988's

Bro Mountainbiker

shimano XTR m987 brakes

Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    Any folks with experience of the M987's think they'd be ok on a trail/enduro bike with bigger rotors? Trying to figure out which would be best, I have a set of M987's but not sure whether to flog them and go with M988's
    According to Shimano, the servo actuated levers will earn you 1 rotor size worth of extra stopping power.

Honestly, for you application, I would choose the extra power of the 988 or 785 brake.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast