mtbr member
    Nov 2006

shimano xtr m960 calipers + non-shimano levers

is it possible to combine an shimano xtr m960 caliper with a non-shimano lever (ie avid, magura, etc)? i want to go to from my dual control lever setup to sram x.0 triggers but retain the xtr brakes. they have great stopping power and modulation and are light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i don't think you can use other's levers, leverage ratios and stuff, but you should be able to find some xt 765 levers for cheap, they and any other shimano lever would work just need the correct fitttings

mtbr member
    I think mixing non-shimano with shimano levers is a really, really bad idea.
    avid brakes don't even use the same kind of fluid. magura do use the right fluid, but I wouldn't waste my money trying it.

Why not buy some XTR levers if you like the brakes so much? levers have a lot to do with how a brake works. it's not just the caliper.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as nato said, just get xtr 970 levers if you want to go full XTR...or you can go for XT, LX, SLX or Deore levers..

I have a set of 960 calipers with LX levers on my GF's bike...they work great

mtbr member
    I'm not going to waste my breath telling you what won't work that I haven't even tried. Good luck and thanks for being innovative.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Anyone used BR-M965 with BL-M975? Has anything changed dramatically with the cylinders in the lever and the caliper action that would keep them working together?

I already rode that
    I forget what company offered a seal kit for their levers to work with mineral oil, maybe it was Hope.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder
    Anyone used BR-M965 with BL-M975? Has anything changed dramatically with the cylinders in the lever and the caliper action that would keep them working together?
    This will work fine.