I should be studying...

New question here. Shimano XT vs. XTR disc brakes?

I'm using the old 755 brakes and selling them off to get a new set of brakes. What's the difference between the new XTs and XTRs?

Chrome Toaster
    The new ones are considerably lighter. I think well over 200 grams for the XTR's. Besides that the dual large pistons should tend to jam less than the smaller quad pistons in the old caliper.

just along for the ride
    The '04 are nice, like the hope minis nice single piece casting and the splined hubs saves weight too. Problem is you need a new wheelset... Otherwise I like mine, easy set-up and take your time on the bleed. Hoses are super light too. Very easy to cut. We will see what father time has to say.

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    No need for new wheel set - keep the current set and run Magura Martha SL, Hope Mono, Shimano XT (old), A2Z Teppan Yaki or some other 160mm 6 bolt rotor with the new XT or XTR calipers...

I should be studying...

New question here.

Thanks for your input guys. I was curious as to do the difference between the new XTs (not the 4 pot brakes) vs. XTRs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The XT calipers are a little heavier and a little more material too them, the pads are the same, and the pistons are also the same size IIRC. So unless you are going to build a superlight race bike XT would be a better choice on price.

XTR weigh 98g front 101g rear
    XT weigh 163g front 170g rear but these come in post mount only so this includes the weight of the adapter, I wouldn't be suprised if the caliper were no more than 10g or so different.

just along for the ride
    The resin pads are way more friendly and quiet but no where near the power of the metallics. If I was racing metallics would be the call cause you can brake way later, but for everyday riding the resin modulate better w/o the noise matallics make. Overall I'm stoked on the '04 XT, very nice brakes well worth the upgrade.

Numerous wiring problems.
    Mar 2004

Idea! Tried copperslip?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    The resin pads are way more friendly and quiet but no where near the power of the metallics. If I was racing metallics would be the call cause you can brake way later, but for everyday riding the resin modulate better w/o the noise matallics make. Overall I'm stoked on the '04 XT, very nice brakes well worth the upgrade.
    Agree that the metallics have more bite than the resin with both '04 XT and Saint. I had squeaking too, but a dab of copperslip - automotive, very high melting point, copper-based anti-squeal grease - seems to have sorted that out. Might be worth a shot.

Chrome Toaster
    I found the shimano metalic pads to be one of the quieter ones I've tried. You can hear the typical grind when they bite but they don't howl unless they are wet. Even then the howl will go away quickly as they heat up. My Hayes and Hope Mini's had more howling under similar conditions. The resins are ok but I find they simply don't provide the braking power I'd expect from a disc brake.

just along for the ride
    The metalics are stronger stoppers no doubt but I think they generate way more heat and can contribute to rotor warping and more vapor locking. I do notice with the metalics after a hard downhill section they tend to squeek especially under 5 mph. Over 5 and they quiet down probably due to the rotor design to cool the pads? I'm hoping the resin will get stronger after a few rides otherwise back to metalics for me squeaks be damned