mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Shimano XT semi-metallic pads

My resin pads wore out in 2.5 months, so I installed semi -metallic pads and I must say I'm not happy.

They make a loud noise and I can feel them vibrating through the saddle and the braking requires much more lever effort and they fade on long down hills.

Anyone else have similar experiences? What do you suggest? Back to resin? I've heard some people use half and half. I've done a few rides with the semi metallic, so I don't think its a matter of the pads being new. I hate to throw down another $47 for pads...but these things are really almost unrideable.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just had the same experience. I loved the resin pads! They were quiet with fantastic modulation, but they were gone in 2 months. I've been riding the metallic pads for 2 weeks and they are driving me nuts. They squeal most of the time and even when they don't they make this awful scuffing sound. I carefully broke them in, and even sanded them down just in case I had messed them up somehow. It also looks like they have noticably worn the rotors at an excellerated pace over the resin pads. I am going to try some of the Galfer pads. I know nothing about them but I need to try something else. I am 220lbs and our rides are an hour of climbing and then 30 to 40 minutes of continuous desent.

Let me know if you find a good secret,
    Craig
    the Gorge