Did I catch a niner?

New question here. Shimano XT question/concern

So I got my set today and everything was in order. Just have the rear installed at this time due to a handlebar issue. Anyways, I notice when you pull the lever there is a slight resistance then it kind of "pops." There seems to be a ball it has to go over before it will start to move.

My question is does this action smooth out? It seems like you cannot modulate the brake or give it soft pressure, just balls to the wall stop. Am I wrong?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Strange, I don't have that or am I too numb?

mtbr member
    I think that is the "servo-wave" in action. It is kind of unusual at first, but you get used to it.

mtbr member
    That's the servo wave cam in the brake lever. Its action does smooth out a little with use.

You don't really want a big notch in the lever travel though as it makes it harder to know what the brake will do. Pull hard to get the brake lever past that initial movement and you're more likely to feel as though the brakes are grabbing, because you're still pulling hard on the lever as the pads engage with the brake rotor.

If you lie the bike on its side and drip some oil down onto the brake lever pivot and servo wave cam it should make the lever action feel much smoother. It doesn't get rid of the notch altogether but lubricating the servo wave cam reduces that two stage feeling and makes it easier to gently feather the brakes.

Love the new 2012 XT brakes

With an unfamiliar brake lever action it's worth practicing with them on easy terrain first. It's useful to get an idea of how they respond and where the bite points are before really pushing hard.

Did I catch a niner?
    Once I got them completely setup the action is not as obvious. The free stroke does not work worth a damn which is a shame, I suppose I will have to bleed them to get the right lever feel which should be easy enough.

I must say I am impress with the quality of all pieces. I was installing the caliper and the lever dropped and hit the side of the bike pretty hard, I was ready shed a tear for a scratch on my brand new lever but nothing. I also had the screw driver slip a little when pulling the free stroke out and no scratch there either.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1