mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shimano xt popping sound on lever

Each time I squeeze the front brake and let go a popping sound happens. Is there a way to fix this or will lubing help? My concern is using lube and dirt gets into the lever.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had this same issue and I asked about it a week or so ago. My 785b brakes are new and the sound has gone away from use on a short ride. I am assuming yours are new too or at least I hope so. Just use them and hopefully it will go away as mine did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lubricating the pivots is a good idea. XT and XTR trail have a servo wave mechanism and that might be your pop. Lube that too with a light oil. Oil there won't get inside the hydraulic system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ace42 View Post
    I had this same issue and I asked about it a week or so ago. My 785b brakes are new and the sound has gone away from use on a short ride. I am assuming yours are new too or at least I hope so. Just use them and hopefully it will go away as mine did.
    Pretty new I would say, I got them back in May or June? Only the front brakes do it. It's odd... hopefully using it more would fix the popping sound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Lubricating the pivots is a good idea. XT and XTR trail have a servo wave mechanism and that might be your pop. Lube that too with a light oil. Oil there won't get inside the hydraulic system.
    I have a parktool lube that I use for my rear derailleur.... would that be a good to use? Where the lever goes into the brake system... is where I put some lube. I noticed a steel cylinder which moves each time you pull the lever. I added some oil there, but still the popping sound appears. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    By the way, thanks for the replies