mtbr member

Shimano XT - Pad Rattle - Normal?

After installing my new M785 XT Brakes I noticed a rattle sound that seems to be the pads rattling in the caliper when I'm riding fast on a bumpy downhill and not applying pressure to the levers. Anyone else notice this? Do I need to bend the pad springs out a bit?

mtbr member
    Nah...just get a small elastic band and wrap it around the fins (not fin to fin, but one elastic band per fin). If you can source black elastic bands from inner tubes, you won't even notice them. This is a common fix and should get rid of the rattle.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I am not loving the same issue. I tried the rubber bands made from inner tubes and it helped a bit but the problem was still there. Any other fixes?

mtbr member
    My SLX's did that too. Switched to normal non-finned pads and no problems since (with rattling or brake fade).

nothing to see here
    Non-finned pads fixes the problem. XT here.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anybody ever notice when holding down on the brake, the bike rocks forward and back. It was pretty noticeable on the my front brake. I thought I had a lose headset but its actually the brakes. When you clamp on the lever and rock the bike, you can see the pads moving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Anybody ever notice when holding down on the brake, the bike rocks forward and back. It was pretty noticeable on the my front brake. I thought I had a lose headset but its actually the brakes. When you clamp on the lever and rock the bike, you can see the pads moving.
    Yes, the pads move quite a bit, IMO. I too thought I had a loose headset, they move that much. Now that I know what's going on, I'm not that concerned about it. I'll probably opt for the non-finned pads when my existing pads are due for replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    A lot of disc brakes do this. You'll notice that if you apply more pressure, there is enough friction between the pad and piston and they stop sliding around in the caliper. So squeeze harder when you're actually trying to check your headset.

Yes, I noticed the rattling noise as well when I installed my brakes. I bent the pad springs a little but now I think I've just gotten used to it. Just a consequence of having the fins on there to dissipate heat. Which IMO is more important than a little rattle.

Don't think there's really much of a way to solve it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My XTs do not move on a downhill, they work great with very little fading on long descents. Is it really much better with finned pads?