mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Shimano XT-M785 Brake Issue

I've been rocking the M785 brake that came with 2012 my trek superfly. Only a few hours riding time on them and they have been working great so far. However, the lever blade is now not returning to its original position after depressing the blade for braking. Any ideas on how to fix this? Its brand new. Looks like there's an internal roller clamp that the blade slides around. I'm assuming there's a spring inside that returns the roller clamp to its starting position when keeping pressure off the lever blade. Any gurus know if there's a quick fix? It shouldn't need a re-bleed as it has been working fine and still relatively new. calipers and pistons are all good, too (Hope I don't have to warranty as it will cut into riding time.) How do I get the lever blade to spring back to its starting position?

mtbr member
    I crashed and mine moved so it was pressing against my shifter. I had those symptoms and just separated the two a little and it went away. Not sure if that's you're problem but worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    re bleed the system should solve your problem

Ninja Master Powers
    I had a similar problem. I had to bleed my pre-bled brakes.