Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Shimano XT M775 vs. XT M785

For those who have spent some time riding both the M775's and the M785's I was hoping to get some feedback on one brake vs the other. How much of a upgrade (if any) are the 785's over the 775's?
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ran the M775`s for over 2 years, and since have ran the 785`s.

Never had any issue with the 775`s, but i could have done with better stopping if i`m honest. They worked , but I always looked to improve the stopping of them i.e. tried large 203mm rotors, bled few times, upgraded the hydraulic cables etc.

Thought i`d give the 785`s a go..

Great stoping power, have actually downsized rotors to 180mm F, and 160mm R and still great. Shortening the cables doesn`t need a re-bleed, and i actually think they feel better since doing it.

The one finger lever works great as well.

For me.. the upgrade was better stopping with the advantage of a shorter lever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Both have good power, but the real difference is that on the M785 you need only one finger to use that power, and on M775 two (or more). That much the M785 are better in terms of power...

With the SLX (M666 and M665) it is the same.

Shimano had trouble free brakes before, now they added much more needed power without tiring your arms on long descents.

Just hit it with speed
    Very interested to hear opinions. I have the 775 and so far they are great.

Not quite the power of my Elixirs.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Pretty much what everyone else said. I had the 665 brakes, they were pretty trouble free, but lacked the power. 666 brakes give me all the 1-finger power i could want and are more comfortable.