mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Shimano XT M765 Disc Brakes - opinions?

Howdy,

My bike currently has Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes on it. I have been thinking about swapping the Tektros out for an Avid BB7 setup. While looking at disc brakes on Ebay I noticed a set of Shimano XT M765 disc brakes for $143.95 from Rocky Mountain Cyclery. The M765's are complete with calipers, levers and bre-bled lines. So, in theory, all I would have to do is slap them on the bike (figuratively speaking) and go.

Anyone have any experience with these brakes? Great? Good? Fair? Bad? I'd like to hear some opinions before I drop the cash on them.

Thanks,

Rob

I Ride Alone
    The XT Brakes are pretty good. I have used a set and had no issues. I am sure you would be happy with them.
    They are way better than the BB7 which is a mechanical brake I believe..
    That said the Avid Jucy 5's orJucy 7 will modulate better and have more stopping power than the Shimanos.
    Personally I would stick with the Hydraulic brake.
    Shop around you can find a lot of great deals on the web!
    I like the Magura myself.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    I love the 765's. Have had them on my Stumpy for 4 years now. Just bought another pair cheap from Pricepoint and put them on my singlespeed. Didn't like the BB7's that were on there.

Don't forget you will need to buy rotors as they don't come with the bundle you mentioned. Unless you are planning to reuse the rotors you already have. 765's are post mount too so you may (or may not) need adapters depending on your frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbratt
    I love the 765's. Have had them on my Stumpy for 4 years now. Just bought another pair cheap from Pricepoint and put them on my singlespeed. Didn't like the BB7's that were on there.

Don't forget you will need to buy rotors as they don't come with the bundle you mentioned. Unless you are planning to reuse the rotors you already have. 765's are post mount too so you may (or may not) need adapters depending on your frame and fork.
    Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to go with the rotors that are on the bike right now for time being. But, for future consideration, what rotor set would you recommend?