mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Shimano XT Ice Tech Brake Rotors: SMRT86 Versus SMRT86L2 Versus SMRT86S2???

Hi,

I've noticed the following various models of Shimano XT Ice Tech brake rotors: SMRT86, SMRT86L2 and SMRT86S2, but have not yet been successful at figuring out what the differences and trade-offs are.

Does anyone have the secret decoder ring for all the differences between the SMRT86, SMRT86L2 and SMRT86S2 rotors?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    They are the manufacturer's part numbers for different sizes. For example Universal Cycles has them differentiated as:

SM-RT86 (160mm)
    SM-RT86M (180mm)
    SM-RT86L (203mm)

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...12&category=31

If you look at the link you can see "MFG# listed for each size.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi,

I'm familiar with the nomenclature that you are referring to. But what I'm asking about is what a SM-RT86L2 really is. Notice the "2" on the end. There are a number of online retailers quoting this model number, in addition to others with the more standard SM-RT86L model number.

Is the SM-RT86L2 really different than a SN-RT86L (in which case I'd like to understand the differences)?
    Or is it some kind of typo that's somehow become widespread online?

Shimano XT Ice Tech Brake Rotors: SMRT86 Versus SMRT86L2 Versus SMRT86S2???-shimano_sm-rt86l2_rotors.jpg

I embedded an image instead of using a link, since the link would likely become stale at some point.

Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    You are really over-thinking it. There is only a Shimano SM-RT86. It comes in three sizes. You can see this from the Shimano website.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...0/SM-RT86.html

The numbers that you are hung up on are the manufacturers part numbers. When I go into my local bike shop and tell the guy I need a 180mm. Shimano SM-RT86, he sends an order to Shimano quoting the part number as "ISMRT86M2" to ensure I get the correct size. Maybe some online sellers are taking/using the part number on their websites.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.