mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Shimano XT hydros vs. Avid mechs

So i tried my friend's crappy hydros and they were amazing so i figured if i got Shimano XTs they'd be even more amazing. But i've heard Avid mechs are better? What are your thoughts? I wanted 8" Saints but then i found out the hubs are $200.

I was thinking of going with 200mm Avids in the rear and 160mm Avids in the front. What do you think? I'm about 5' 11" and 160lbs, but i'm 15 so i'll probably be more like 6' 1" 180lbs in a year. 8" rotors in the back might be overkill but i've heard they are ~40% more effective so i'm thinking the extra $40 might be worth it for the back. Does anyone run two different sized rotors?

Does anyone know if 8" rotors fit the CAAD5/Opitmo Cannondale frames?

Which hubs will i need? Will any IS disc hubs do? What would you recommend? I want to spend as little as possible on them considering i'm running on generic non-disc hubs now so it can't get worse.

I realize I asked a lot of questions; I hope they are pretty easy to answer. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was thinking of going with 200mm Avids in the rear and 160mm Avids in the front. What do you think? I'm about 5' 11" and 160lbs, but i'm 15 so i'll probably be more like 6' 1" 180lbs in a year. 8" rotors in the back might be overkill but i've heard they are ~40% more effective so i'm thinking the extra $40 might be worth it for the back. Does anyone run two different sized rotors
    Why do you want more power at the back? I have the 160mm Avid Mechanical at the back and I can lock it up with one finger in any situation. I certainly wouldn't want any more power because once its locked up you are loosing breaking power. If anything you want more power on the front because its harder to lock up and thus can potentially offer more stopping power if used well. However I know a guy who is an exceptional rider and he much prefers to have the power at the back so I guess its preference. I have a XT Hydo on the front with the standard 160mm disc and again I wouldn't want any more power. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary to get a bigger disc on the front though, it would really stop you then!

Does anyone know if 8" rotors fit the CAAD5/Opitmo Cannondale frames?
    Not a clue! sorry.

Which hubs will i need? Will any IS disc hubs do? What would you recommend? I want to spend as little as possible on them considering i'm running on generic non-disc hubs now so it can't get worse.
    The '04 XT Shimano range have adopted the splined disc mount (first seen on XTR/Saint I think?) which means you must get the correct hubs and discs. I'm not sure if they still make hubs with the 6bolt disc mount but you will have to get the XT brakes if they don't and you want Shimano hubs. I have XT (old 6 bolt) hubs and they are great.

Regarding choice of brake the Avid Mechanicals are simply awesome. So make sure you get hubs with 6 bolt mounts if you want these. There is a part of me that wishes I had got one on the front too. They are so simple to set up and adjust its incredible. There is no cocking around with shims to align the caliper your just bolt it on and use the floating mount to adjust then tighten it all up and there you go. Then its a case of adjusting the pads with thumb wheels which couldn't be simpler. Not to mention the price - I got mine on offer at chainreactioncycles.com (not sure where your based but I think these guys are really UK based, although I think they may ship internationally) for 50 and the XT Hydros would have set me back in excess of 120. (I got the front XT on offer so that was much cheaper) So for the price and the power I would really recommend the Avids. If you have the cash I guess XTs are a bit slicker, a bit more powerful, and better looking without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I went to my LBS and i was told not to go to 8" calipers because "there isn't that much of a difference" and appearenly they have so much torque they can rip the mounts right off (break them off the frame). So what do you think? I have a very light 2004 Cannondale F600 so it isn't like i'm stopping a massive downhill bike that weighs 50 lbs. I'm not that heavy either so i don't think i'd be stressing it. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Definitely don't bother then. Like I said I have 160mm at the back and front and they are more than powerful enough for me. My bike is about 28lbs (heavy for a HT I know! I prioritize strength though, I still beat all my mates up the hills so I'm not bothered!) and I'm not that heavy so I would say 160mm would suit you very well. You could always upgrade in the future if you want to take the risk/think its necessary. I couldn't say if there is much difference or not though as I have never tired anything bigger than mine. See what the cheapest deal you can get on the XT or the Avids and make your choice on that.