mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Shimano XT hoses

I'm putting a set of Shimano XT-M765 disc brakes on my bike. The hoses for both the front and the rear are too short. Can I just get one new hose and move the back brake hose to the front and put a new one on the back? Also, do I have to buy shimano's 60 dollar bleed kit or is there something else that will work?

MTBR Demi-God
    I think you can move the rear brake to the front, just make sure that you have the correct adapter to go with it. Usually, this means you have to swap the adapter from the front brake to your rear brake.... because your rear brake is going to be in the front. The lever positioning might need to be changed as well.

As for the bleed kit... I did not know that Shimano had a $60 bleed kit!!! The one I purchased costed me around $13.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks, I was more thinking of switching the hose and not the calipers. Shimano sells the little 13 dollar bleed bottle and a 60 dollar bleed kit, do I only need the 13 dollar one?
    The $13 one
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bleed+Kit.aspx
    The 60$ one
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...9201&UberCat=0

MTBR Demi-God
    Personally, I think that the $13 "economy" bleed kit should be enough to get the bleed job done... it doesnt come with all the fancy stuff, but it is enough IMO. I would not recommend re-using the hose connector parts.... but I have seen people do it sucessfully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Put the back hose on the front and cut to length. you might need a new olive Just buy the $13 kit. The only special tools you need are a decent hex key set ($5 max) a phillips screwdriver and a 7 or 8 mm wrench. .

MTBR Demi-God
    You will be needing a 7mm wrench for the bleed port... and 8mm for the hose connector bolt.

Meh.
    Definitely get new fittings. It's not worth the potential problems.

Rear hose will swap to the front just fine. Make sure you cut the hose square with something nice and sharp. Be sure to open up the end with a thin awl if you crushed the hose a bit.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As the others recommended, do get new fittings... I also recommend getting the "cheap" kit, but additionally buy 1 or 2 big syringes and refill the lines from the caliper up to the lever... that makes the whole procedure very easy...