mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Shimano XT or Formula RX brakes?

About to upgrade and trying to determine which one is better than the other? Any insight?

Just a flesh wound
    The Shimano XT's are really nice and the Mineral Oil is much easier to bleed than the DOT Fluid. So I say Shimano.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Shimano all the way. Yeah, they're kinda the 'big brother' of bike components, but their brakes freaking work!

mtbr member
    Hope's are the best, but between these twos shimano is the better quality brake.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 11-02-2012 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shimano.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I have SLX on one bike and Formula RX on another, Juicy 7s on another, and Elixir Rs on another. Of those the SLX is my favorite. They have great modulation, are quiet, and powerful when needed. The Formula are great but tend to be harder to setup and keep quiet. Power is on par with the SLX but don't modulate quiet as well. Both are worlds better than Avid's hydraulic brakes.
    i ride bikes

Commit or eat sh!t
    XT's all the way. Formulas have rub issues, to be fixed in 2013. Unless you are gonna use it for DH, in which case matters less.

mtbr member
    I love my RXs, have great stopping power, and I really dont find them hard to bleed at all (although I take mine off my bike for ease). I have never owned Shimano but everyone seems to like them so I want to try some as all these people cant be wrong.

mtbr member
    Shimano's all the way. I've had hydraulic brakes from SRAM, Hope, Formula, and Shimano and I'd take Shimano over any of them. I would put Formula second though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Hope's are the best, but between these twos shimano is the better quality brake.
    Quoting for truth. Plus the fact Hope brakes can be bled just like motorocycle/car brakes and not need any syringes...

Hope Race lever: Hope Technology - Brake Bleed (Mini Lever) - YouTube

Hope Tech lever: Hope Technology - Brake Bleed (Tech lever) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    Shimano's all the way. I've had hydraulic brakes from SRAM, Hope, Formula, and Shimano and I'd take Shimano over any of them. I would put Formula second though.
    I wouldn't !

i've owned lots of brakes, really, and Formula were not good for me

only brakes i would buy are Hope or Shimano
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE View Post
    I wouldn't !

i've owned lots of brakes, really, and Formula were not good for me

only brakes i would buy are Hope or Shimano
    Yeah you're right. That was a mistake on my part. I meant to say Hopes. I liked Hopes. Formulas didn't feel great and the levers felt very cheap, like they would easily break

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ended up going XT along with some other serious upgrades to my bike...picking it up at 7 tonight. I upgraded to all XT components, Nobby Nics, Arch EX's KCNC ceramic bottom bracket, FSR white/carbon stem and handlebar and some Ergo grips. Thanks for all of the insight folks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Shimano <3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've got the Formula R1's and like the feel and power a lot better than Shimano XT. The XT brakes I had are a couple of models ago, and I hear the latest models have a little better power.

The Formula's have a tendency to have a stuck piston once in a while, so once every month or two I'll start getting some rubbing on the rotors. The Formula standard rotors are not my favorite, once I upgraded to the 2 piece rotors I've had much better luck not having brake drag and rub.

Shimano XT's are a great everyday brake, you just set them up and ride. I never needed to fiddle with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    very happy with my new XT's

mtbr member
    I have both. Rode the RX for about a year and a half before I got the new XT's. Held on to the RX for a new build, which I just finished a week ago, so I'm using the RX's again.

Hands down, XT's. The have the best power and feel (I love the levers). I'll likely be selling the RX's soon to get another set of XT. The other benefit of the XT is price for maintenance. Everything with the Formulas was expensive. I had to have the piston seals replaced and on one caliper and had the line replaced on the other (need a longer line to fit the new brake).

As a note, I don't run Shimano discs. I run Formula rotors with the XT brakes and Magura rotors with the Formulas.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +100 on the shimano XT! the newer 2012&2013's look awesome, but i have been running 2010 XT's for the past 2 to 3 years..I never get any annoying squeal like what you get with Avids and i have yet needed to bleed my brakes. Formulas are over priced for what they are, they look better (jmho) but performance wise and durability, Shimano all the way. I weigh 225lbs fully loaded and they stop me on a dime, very impressive!

Just a flesh wound
    Good move getting the Shimanos. The Mineral Oil does not have to be degassed like the DOT fluid and the mineral oil will not ruin paint or damage your floor etc.. when spilled.

But these "trivial" concerns are nothing when compared to the reliable and consistent performance of a good brake system, like the XT's!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Plays with tools
    Formula makes great stuff. However like everything else made in Italy their temperamental. I just put a set of the 986 brakes on my bike and their the best brakes I've ever ridden. Lever could be a little firmer but it's my preference to have a really hard brake lever.