mtbr member

Shimano XT brakes are pretty good

And by "pretty good," I mean FREAKIN' AMAZING.

I had my first ride in my new Yeti ASR-5 today and I put XT brakes on it. I had NO IDEA brakes could work this well. Full disclosure: I came from BB7s. But I almost didn't go with XT on the new bike because I thought the BB7s worked fine. And, honestly, they do. They are loud, even in the best of conditions and they are more on-off than modulated but they stop the bike fine.

Even my test rides on several bikes (3 different ones, on a 45 min ST loop) didn't fully demonstrate how good these brakes are. I had to get on MY bike on MY favorite trail to really see and hear the difference.

Combine these silent brakes with my XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur, which exhibits ZERO chain slap, and I'm in full silent stealth ninja mode. Good thing I put Hope hubs on or the deer wouldn't know to move off the trail!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Beer whisperer
    I just upgraded to the XT's from my Avids, night and day difference. Best upgrade I've done.
    www.noblealeworks.com

Pick a wheel size and be a dick about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Which pads are you using?, and any experience in wet/mud yet? thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Which pads are you using?, and any experience in wet/mud yet? thx!
    Nothing seriously wet yet. Other than a few stream crossings and they performed just as well after the stream as before. Unlike my Avids, they did NOT emit ear piercing shrieks and forest-clearing gobbles the instant they got a little damp.

I'm using the ice tech pads that came standard with the brakes.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with their stopping power and modulation. I experienced some loud noise on mine, but only have I was caught in a torrential down pour and they were soaked.

I've got the XT Trail, I think that's the version or they could just be XT, the ones with the heat-sink pads. And the Ice Tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    for those of you that went to xt, what size rotors are you using. someone commented on how big the rotors were on my specialized camber 26. I'd always assumed they were 180/160. I was surprised to see it was actually 203/185, avid elixir 3R. the turkey call is driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I put XT trails on my Spec Epic and love them, just swapped over to XT 180mm rotors front and rear as well. Time to get them broke in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got 180 front and 160 rear on mine.

mtbr member
    +1 on the shadow plus RD, I too just added the M786 RD to my ride. I also have the M785's and RT86's 180/160. Moreover I upgraded my shifters to the M780's. No money for rims but I did go tubeless and a fork is next on the list but will be a while. My bike rides like a SS with the M786 RD, no slap and very quiet. Shifting is about the same as my old M785 but with no slap.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    160 front and rear for me.

Beer whisperer
    180 front, 160 rear Ice tech rotors, stock heat sink pads.
    www.noblealeworks.com

Pick a wheel size and be a dick about it

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone had any experience yet with the ceramic pads for the XT trails. When I first got mine (first hydraulic system for me) I did not bed them in correctly and stupid me bleed the brakes with the pads still in. Pads ruined. Still had fantastic stopping power but shreiked like a freight train was coming at you. Tried every trick on the world wide web from sanding to alcohol to heating them up but nothing seemed to work permenatly. So seeing as I needed new pads instead of buying the stock metallic pads which to my understanding lasts longer then the ceramic. The ceramic pads offer even more stopping power and feel. Wanted to know if this was true or not?
    Last edited by Spidey2422; 04-18-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammer