mtbr member
    Dec 2010

shimano xt brake pad alternatives

So I have the XT M785 brakes and I am also plagued by the squealing issue. After cleaning my rotors etc, I have decided to just get a new set of pads. Since I will probably run into the same squealing issue that i had if I use shimano pads. Does anyone have any recommendation for alternative disc brake pads? I was initially thinking swiss stop pads but I don't see one listed as being compatible with the M785 pads. My LBS doesn't carry them in stock so I can't just grab some to try. I'm open to other alternative brands if I can easily find them.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    It's not just the pad, you probably need to sand/resurface the rotor as well. You also need to check your pistons to see if they are moving properly and properly retracting.

As far as pads go, I went from Shimano Metal pads to the Shimano Resin pads and things greatly improved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I sanded my SLX pads and squealing went away. (laid sand paper (150 grit?) on table and lightly ran pad across.)

I went with "Trucker co" pads off ebay - lighter, cheaper and better stopping power than stock pads even though my new rotors have less surface area
    Truckerco brake pads?

X2 TruckerCo Alloy High Performance Disc Brake Pads Shimano XT BR M785 SLX M666 | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't think its at all guaranteed that all shimano pads will cause squeal just because one set does. Rotor issues, contamination, glazed pad surface and improper alignment can all cause noise. Replacing pads with fresh ones can solve some issues irrespective of pad make, but more setup-related issues won't be cured no matter what brand you use.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've run the Truckerco pads on xtr975's for about 2 months. Initially I liked them, but the rear glazed pretty quickly. I sanded the glaze off, put a new rear XT and rode them for a few miles to bed in prior to Sundays race. The race was in heavy-heavy rain with quite a bit of mud, I did not like them in the wet/mud, my old race bike with xtr rim brakes would have worked as good or better. I was very happy with them in dry conditions, so maybe that's where they shine, with regular glaze removal.
    I have read good reviews re the Serfas pads, I intend to try those next. I was complaining about my brakes to the guy I was chasing in the mud who also runs xtr, but he said his were working well, I forgot to ask him after what he was using for pads, -next time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I've run the Truckerco pads on xtr975's for about 2 months. Initially I liked them, but the rear glazed pretty quickly. .
    Thanks for heads up. The way this season is starting (wet). I may be looking to change then.

When you say "glaze" - what happens? Noise? Braking Power?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Braking power goes down to about 20%, you squeeze on the lever and very little happens. Squealing noise too. The pads themselves get a smooth shiny surface. The shimano pads it came with (used) were glazed when I got the bike, and the rear worked very poorly. I sanded the glaze off of those and the rear still worked poorly.
    I checked the rear pads late last night after the above post, the pad material is worn down to about 1/3 of new, I have 3 races on those pads and only a few hours of riding, that one hour muddy race took about 1/4 of the pad material.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    I don't think its at all guaranteed that all shimano pads will cause squeal just because one set does. Rotor issues, contamination, glazed pad surface and improper alignment can all cause noise. Replacing pads with fresh ones can solve some issues irrespective of pad make, but more setup-related issues won't be cured no matter what brand you use.
    Definitely agree, I use shimano for over a year now with no problems at all..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was just about to order a set of xt's, now I'm not sure? Is the squealing the norm or is it a small percentage of users?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Shimano metallic pads squealed for me and I replaced them with Jagwire semi-metallic pads and could not be happier. Rarely will I get a brief squeal up front but usually dead silent and better modulation too.

Fred

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't know how abused the Shimano pads were that came with my bike. I should try some new Shimano pads.
    Fred; how are the Jagwires in wet/mud?

mtbr member
    anyone ever tried koolstops?

MTB B'dos
    I've not had any squealing issues with my N785s, only time I do get it is when riding right along the coast with high wind and salt spray gets onto the pads and rotor, then once I've engaged the brake a couple times and burnt it off the noise goes away until I ride without braking for a while and then rinse and repeat, but how many people ride right on the edge of the Caribbean sea and are exposed to heavy salt spray BTW, best brakes I've had so far, may not modulate quite as well as some others, but when I want brakes, I want brakes, I don't want to be ***** footing around, I want to stop or majorly reduce my speed, NOW!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Jagwire semi-metallic pads and could not be happier
    these and koolstop i like ,also for ridiculously inexpensive ,$8, discobrakes makes a good semi metalic pad

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Jim,

It's when they get wet that they may squeal a bit but stopping power is fine. I find the Jagwires to have as much power as the metallic Shimano pads without the grating metal on metal sound.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Guys, I think I'm having a problem , where i bought shimano XT brake pads BR-M755 while my shimano XT brakes are M785, they fit very well but the screw location is different so I can't fix them in their location and I'm not sure what are the implications if I ride the bike like that , Any ideas Suggestiontions

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You're gonna die. As the pads will fly out going over that fast jump downhill just before a switchback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    [QUOTE=AlienRFX;11251224]You're gonna die. As the pads will fly out going over that fast jump downhill just before a switchback.[/QUOTE

LOOL , that's good to know , i didnt install the anyways

mtbr member
    I also have a squeal problem with XT brakes (rear only).

The cleaning, sanding, rebedding solution hasn't worked for me. My next attempt will be to install EBC green organic pads.

I have heard organics make less noise, but I realized I have just assumed that my brakes came stock with metallic pads. Maybe they are already organic?

Does anyone know what kind of pads come stock with the XT brakes?

My brakes came with my 2014 Tallboy LT and the pads are not finned.

Thanks.

MTB B'dos
    Nearly all my XTs have come with organic pads, but also got sinistered on one and squealing has not been an issue, not unless you let them sit installed on the bike for along time and they have contaminants blow on them - for me in this island, that means salt air. If a good sanding of the pads and rotor and cleaning with alcohol doesn't work, honestly, a new set of the Shimano organics will solve the problem. As I say, only had the issue with a bike left sitting. One point though, make sure they are setup properly and aligned straight, un-even pad alignment can also cause this problem. CRC has great prices on the non finned organic pads.

Another trick you can try once you sand and clean the pads is to quirt them down with water and do some stops with them, effectively wet sand the pads When we ride near the sea and the wind and spray is flying, the squeal easily until you burn it off or squirt some fresh water on them, works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I also have a squeal problem with XT brakes (rear only).

The cleaning, sanding, rebedding solution hasn't worked for me. My next attempt will be to install EBC green organic pads.

I have heard organics make less noise, but I realized I have just assumed that my brakes came stock with metallic pads. Maybe they are already organic?

Does anyone know what kind of pads come stock with the XT brakes?

My brakes came with my 2014 Tallboy LT and the pads are not finned.

Thanks.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Nearly all my XTs have come with organic pads, but also got sinistered on one and squealing has not been an issue, not unless you let them sit installed on the bike for along time and they have contaminants blow on them - for me in this island, that means salt air. If a good sanding of the pads and rotor and cleaning with alcohol doesn't work, honestly, a new set of the Shimano organics will solve the problem. As I say, only had the issue with a bike left sitting. One point though, make sure they are setup properly and aligned straight, un-even pad alignment can also cause this problem. CRC has great prices on the non finned organic pads.

Another trick you can try once you sand and clean the pads is to quirt them down with water and do some stops with them, effectively wet sand the pads When we ride near the sea and the wind and spray is flying, the squeal easily until you burn it off or squirt some fresh water on them, works every time.
    Good tips, thanks. Is there an easy way to tell if the pads are metallic or organic?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I tried the steel backed truckerco pads. They glazed up after two rides and had no initial bite. Truckerco responded to my email the same day and sent me the alloy backed ones for free, which are a softer compound. They've been working great and I'm going to buy more of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I tried the steel backed truckerco pads. They glazed up after two rides and had no initial bite. Truckerco responded to my email the same day and sent me the alloy backed ones for free, which are a softer compound. They've been working great and I'm going to buy more of them.
    I don't know what model brakes you have. I've got the older M775 XT brakes and the pads have a number stamped on the back:

Resin Pad (A01S) & Spring w/Split Pin
    Metal Pad (M06) & Spring w/Split Pin

If your brakes are a different model, go to the tech. docs. and find the exploded diagram for your brakes.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I don't know what model brakes you have. I've got the older M775 XT brakes and the pads have a number stamped on the back:

Resin Pad (A01S) & Spring w/Split Pin
    Metal Pad (M06) & Spring w/Split Pin

If your brakes are a different model, go to the tech. docs. and find the exploded diagram for your brakes.
    I've got the 785s. The tech docs exploded view shows 4 options for pads (resin/metal and finned or not). I'll check the back of the pad for a number tonight.

One thing to note: I heard that burning the pads can get rid of squeal by removing contaminants, but should only be done with metallic pads. I did it to mine, and it didn't seem to damage them. If they are resin, that will be interesting. I assumed the organic pads catch on fire or something. Maybe not.

MTB B'dos
    Resin pads are G01A for the non finned and F01A for the finned.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Good tips, thanks. Is there an easy way to tell if the pads are metallic or organic?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics