mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Shimano XT or Avid Elixir Cr

Hello, please help me choose between Shimano XT and Avid Elixir Cr brakes please (also write why). I am riding tuned Kona King Kikapu 07, harder XC most of the time. Thanks a lot.

Off the back...
    They're both pretty good. My XT brakes are quieter than my friends' Elixirs. You may also want to look at the Shimano SLX brakes. Very similar to the XT, but a little less power at a significantly reduced cost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Now I am riding Hayes HFX-9 XC W6, but I want to upgrade, because I need more stopping power. Do you thing that SLX are the right choice?

Fat Guy Riding
    I've had both and like the Elixir CRs more. More power, better modulation and lighter weight.

However, I haven't had the turkeygobble issue, which is a dealbreaker for some. I figure I'll get it figured out if it happens to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Got them Both.
    The CR - When set up properly and quiet are a dream. The most articulate Braking you can ask for. Modulation is great, Power is more than enough for Northern Rockies Trailriding. Everything about them is impressive until they act up. Once they start squawkin' you'll be needing to fix it quick or find yourself getting some rations of sh!t from ALL other trail users.
    The XT's do all of this nearly as well. Adjustments take tools. Braking power is ample and modulation is there, it's just not tactile like on the Avid Brakes. I don't like the Lever Feel as much with the XT's. I have noticed they are quieter and work well when wet. They just don't have the same sensation at the Lever that the Avids do.

a note. The XT's are on my Mach 4 and the Elixirs are on my Strong Steel Hardtail. As soon as I can afford it, I will be putting a set of CR's on the Pivot.

Unfortunately, it comes after the switch over to a New Wheelset! (Goin' 15QR First. Brakes Second.).

Undercaffienated
    Both are solid brakes with small differences and you can't go wrong with either. Never tried the SLX but would say it would be a good choice too.

FYI the XTs use mineral oil while the Elixirs use DOT fluid. Don't know if this would make a difference for you.

I'd go for the XTs. I like the levers more than the CRs and they're a bit easier to service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not trying to hijack your thread I was actually gonna ask the same question. But I had a couple of other details to add. Im 250lbs and ride a C'dale Gemini for a "XC" bike and cant decide between the 2 brakes. I have juicy 3's now and they just dont do when skint back and need to slow up pretty quick.

I like to ride my bike.
    I have them both. The Elixirs need to be bled a lot more frequently and the gap between the pads is much less than with the XTs.

The XTs are harder to lock up, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

The XTs will be on my race bike, the Elixirs on my training bike.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I have ridden both and like the XT more. The lever feel of the XT is just absolutely amazing compared to the CR for me. I feel that I get more modulation on the XT, also the space between the pad and rotors are larger on the XT resulting in less brake rub.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by lukas.horvath
    Now I am riding Hayes HFX-9 XC W6, but I want to upgrade, because I need more stopping power. Do you thing that SLX are the right choice?
    Well, I'm starting to see SLX brakes show up on AM and FR builds, so I'd say they would do the trick for most any XC ride. To be honest, most current hydraulic brakes will work better than your Hayes. You might also consider going with a larger front rotor to improve your braking.

A lot of what you like about a brake will come down to "feel". Some people really like the feel of one brake more than another. Go to your LBS, and do some lever squeezing to see what you like.

mtbr member
    Iīd take Elixirs, īcause of :
    more power, b
    etter feeling on lever (I donīt like the feel of Shitmanos),
    brake fluid is dot(you can get it easily almost anywhere in the world)
    lighter weight
    IMO better look

I personally use Elixirs CR with carbon levers and Hope M4 Mono Classic rotors...
    Personal, little freaky story-photo-blog: ondrakozubek.webnode.cz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 for less XT brae rub
    +1 for Elixir lever feel