mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Shimano XT 785s - the ins and outs?

Anyone have a link to all the various adjustments and what-not for these? Coming on the time that I'll need to know these things. Had to remove and pop the front pads back in yesterday after the pistons ended up compressed after a washing and I don't want to be winging it.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    Anyone have a link to all the various adjustments and what-not for these? Coming on the time that I'll need to know these things. Had to remove and pop the front pads back in yesterday after the pistons ended up compressed after a washing and I don't want to be winging it.

Anyone?
    There isnt much but you can look at the tech docs on Shimanos website. Other than that just do some google searching. In terms of the calipers, use a plastic tire lever and push in from the center of the ceramic piston until it's flat and level. Don't rotate the pistons. Then use the bleed block/pad spacer and tap the brakes. Then install the pads, then the orange travel spacer between them and apply brakes etc. Everything should be set. you can also use some Shimano mineral oil on the pistons after a alcohol wash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oh actually I complete forgot. There is a Shimano TEC site that if you register as a mechanic you can look at ALL the documents and videos on the brakes. its the best resource for that

edit here: Log In | Shimano T.E.C.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    And now I know why I needed that spacer. I guess I compressed the lever with the wheel out and the brakes were closed when I went to put it back in. I was able to get them back out and then adjust the entire brake assembly to avoid rub ... I hope I did it right!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrea View Post
    Oh actually I complete forgot. There is a Shimano TEC site that if you register as a mechanic you can look at ALL the documents and videos on the brakes. its the best resource for that

edit here: cant post links yet
    Thanks for the link cfrea! Some good info on there