gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

shimano xt 775 brakes

I've been considering these brakes but have read that they are difficult/time intensive to set up - ie have to bled multiple times at first. Anyone experience this?

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx
    I've been considering these brakes but have read that they are difficult/time intensive to set up - ie have to bled multiple times at first. Anyone experience this?
    great brakes,just threw a pair on my ninner,shorting the lines and bleeding are a slam dunk.
    stay off the trails when its below 35 degress (some seal problems on earlier models) and you 'll be a happy guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree with 29ercat. I recently got a pair and had no problems at all putting them on my bike. Setting up and bleeding the brakes is a breeze. Be sure to pick up some mineral oil if you plan on shortening the lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Some of the earlier models had some seal issues when riding in the cold like said above. a friend of mine had these on his fuel but had a big issue with the not working when cold issue so he relpaced with avid juicy ultimates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx
    Anyone experience this?
    Yes, plenty of people have found some sets hard or impossible to bleed to a satisfactory state.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482726

Iím starting to think some of you guys have very low standards for bleeding and thatís why you happily claim there is no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have turkey wobble noise and vibration in my rear brake 775 XT. I`m using original shimano pads that came with the brakes. The frame is Giant Alliance aluxx/carbon. Any ideas to solve the problem???

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Yes, plenty of people have found some sets hard or impossible to bleed to a satisfactory state.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482726

Iím starting to think some of you guys have very low standards for bleeding and thatís why you happily claim there is no problem.
    and or,a skilled wrench...zero issues bleeding,and mine are set up for one finger brakeing

mtbr member
    No problems here with the wrenches at either of my local bike shops, Iím sure thereís no problem with those that gave it a go at Shimano for me or those many other people and magazines whoíve tried and failed with other sets.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pierocapredoni
    I have turkey wobble noise and vibration in my rear brake 775 XT. I`m using original shimano pads that came with the brakes. The frame is Giant Alliance aluxx/carbon. Any ideas to solve the problem???
    see if only one piston is moving. If so remove the pads and extend the pistons as far as you can without them poping out...then clean them well and lube with mineral oil and push them back in.

I love my 775's (except for the sticky pistons). I've cut the lines and bled them with no issues.

Happy Trails
    I think the cold weather problem is real, but I've ridden my (newer) XTs when the water in my plastic bottle froze... no kidding... and I've experienced no problems. But I wonder if I have a newer pair. I don't think so, though, as I got my first pair last fall. And I've installed two pairs now. No problems. And they bleed easy if you download the guide from Shimano Technical Support... I bleed from the bottom nipple up with a syringe (I have a post with a photo of my home-grown bleed kit in tis forum) and have had no problems. Installation is trickier though, than the fool-proof installation that comes with pre-bled brakes.

mtbr member
    I would think anyone that has problems bleeding these brakes just doesn't know how to follow instructions. One of the main reasons I purchased and installed the M775 is the EASE of bleeding. A $3 dosing syringe and some clear tubing attached to it and I can bled my system after installing in about 5 minutes per end. Use the syringe to push the fluid from the bottom up as this will help carry the air out as bubbles like to float Up not down. Once the air bubbles stop coming out in the master cylinder remove the syringe. Work the lever gently while watching any micro bubbles come out in the master cylinder. Finally, put a long clear tube on the bleed screw and the other end in your fluid bottle, pull lightly on the lever and crack the bleed screw open and closed real fast watching for bubbles. When all the bubbles are gone, your almost done. Tighten the bleed screw, reinstall your master cylinder cap, clean up and go riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strglide
    I would think anyone that has problems bleeding these brakes just doesn't know how to follow instructions.
    I find it extremely unlikely that myself, two bike shops and Shimano would try to bleed my brakes many times and all fail just because we can't read instructions, not to mention all the other people who can't get them right. Are you saying that the people from Shimano can't read their own instructions?

Sounds like all you are doing is trying and failing to discredit people who've had real problems just because your set is fine. The only person you are discrediting is yourself for not reading my posts in the linked thread.
    Last edited by EGF168; 03-12-2009 at 08:21 AM.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Generally, I think you'll find more people with them are happy than unhappy. Shimano have changed the bleed circuit on the new SLX models minimising locations for air to get trapped and making bleeding easier so they may even have changed it (or will change it in the future) on newer XTs without telling people about it.

I have a pair, I have bled them, I've had to swap around and shorten hoses and replace a broken lever all without any problems.
    They're just like any other brakes from any other company - you can get a good pair or a dud pair.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the info. Am also considering the slx - price looks awesome.