Thread: Shimano XT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Shimano XT

Any use Shimano 03 Lever with 04 Calliper with 03 Disc?
    Any problem and what's the weight?

Or should I go hope mini instead. ( of course extra cost)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was looking into getting an XT hydro and I have 03 XT hubs so would need an 03 rotor because of the change of mounting from 6-bolt to splined. (Sounds like your in a similar situation?) Anyway my LBS made some calls and found out what the situation is. The 04 caliper will work with an 03 rotor so your ok there. The levers and hoses now all come separately so you can cut the hose to desired length and I think the 03 levers are fine with the 04 caliper, having said I'm not 100% on that. FYI I ended up going for the Avid Mechanical because of the price. They are on special offer at chainreactioncycles.com and I saved a bunch over the XT. I have a 03 XT hydro on the front and the Avid at the back. The Avid performs very well and perfectly compliments the feel of the XT. No idea on the weight - not that bothered really!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Worked for me but...

I recently switched out the rear '03 xt caliper on my XCE to an '04 after 2 of the 4 pistons fell out because i didn't put the clip back on right after switching pads. Everything lined up perfectly but i lost the damn bolt that connects the hose to the caliper It flew off into the front lawn. 2 hours on my hands and knees and a $20 metal detector from the toy store have failed to turn up anything. You guys have any ideas where I could find one of these bolts, I think it must be a shimano specific part. I don't want to buy a whole hose assembly for this one small part. I'd appreciate any ideas.

mtbr member
    buy a close out metal hose for about 10 bucks on ebay, it should comes with the banjo bolt. They pop up from time to time

just along for the ride
    I'm running the 756 levers (no shifters on them) with the new '04 calipers/rotor (yes had to get a new wheelset but 160$ for 321, ws DT's and XT 765 hubs was not that bad). I believe the levers are last years but not sure. They were an easy install/bleed if one takes their time. Using the metallic pads the new 160 XT's are as powerful as 8 inch hayes. The only problem I have is a bad IC connector on my bike even then the XT's work fine where the Hayes would never shim up right. The new XT's might be as powerful as the hopes minis but are easier to bleed/maintain (mineral oil is way nicer to deal with than DOT). I have a friend with the old minis and once they leaked he was never able to get them right again and he works for a large volume shop. Good luck!

Numerous wiring problems.
    Mar 2004

Yep, works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by opticals
    Any use Shimano 03 Lever with 04 Calliper with 03 Disc?
    Any problem and what's the weight?

Or should I go hope mini instead. ( of course extra cost)
    I'm using exactly this set-up on my hardtail, traded up from the old XT calipers, using Goodridge hoses as well. Works great for me, much easier to set up the calipers than the old version, as there's no messing about with shims, plus simple to bleed with a bit of common sense. Sorry, I didn't weigh them.

I have several friends who run Minis here in the UK, you need to get the set-up spot on to avoid squealing and then some, and they seem generally more hassle than Shimano, which in my experience are fit and forget. I'd go for the new Mono Minis over the old Minis anyway if I was going to choose Hope.

The XT set-up is good. Great lever feel, decent power and good modulation. Can't fault them at all though the sintered pads squeal slightly when wet.