mtbr member

Shimano xt 2012 version troubleshooting

Next question for the depths of mtbr....I have the 2012 shimano xt brakes with ice tech rotors. They worked flawless for the first 8 months, but now the front doesn't have the stopping power that they had at first. I have replaced the pads a couple of times and they seem to do the same but now sooner. I believe there is a contaminant on the rotor. Any ideas to clean the rotors and pads? Any advice would be awesome!
    I ride a bike, therefore I am!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I went thru the same issue. Pull the rotors off. Hit them with automotive brake clean. Pick up a sanding block and medium grit sand paper and sand the rotor in a circular motion. I would replace the pads but if want to reuse, hit them with brake clean as well. Bake the pads in the oven until they stop smoking. Pull the brake assemblies off the bike as it is easier to bleed. Bleed the brakes and make sure to properly seat the pads.You should be all set!

mtbr member
    Could be glazed rotor. Sand and clean. Good info though, I too have 2012 XT with Ice Tech. Mine work flawless now but only 100 or so miles at this point.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cleaning the pads and rotors periodically like explained above shouldn't be necessary under normal use. But if they are afflicted by the leaking problem an oily residue would surely be cause for the cleaning measures explained above.

Examine them closely to make sure they aren't leaking at the fitting:
    XT-XTR BR-M785 Warranty Brake Leaking Issue
    Mine worked great for two months until they started leaking. My friendly LBS has a new line and pads on the way from Shimano.