mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Shimano XT 2010 vs Shimano SLX 2013

Hi there!

I need some help here.
    I have a pair of Shimano Xt 2010 brakes and a new shimano slx 2013 brakes and i have a downhill and a xc hardtail bike but i dont know what should i choose for which one.

I currently use the XT in the xc bike because i ride it more often than the dh one.

Which has more power and which has more modulation?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Best regards,
    Jorge

mtbr member
    I heard that this years XTR become next years XT and so on. If your SLX are Finned you should be fine with them. I have the 2012 XT's and love them with the Ice Tech rotors 180/160. Your XT's if not prone to leaking at the Banjo they should work fine. SLX's are only one step down from the XT's and should be able to stop you just fine.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Mark.

I know that both are great brakes. But i heard that the new shimano ranges have more power and have less modulation, and if that's right, there is a great brake for a dh bike. I just wat to make sure that i'm doing the right choise putting the slx one (new, never try them) in dh bike and keep the xt on my xc bike.

regards,
    jorge

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have both. Yes, I would put the SLX on the downhill bike. They are more powerful and have better heat management. I'd leave the hoses long and give it a couple rides to break in just in case you feel differently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks car_nut, thats what i'm gonna do.

Best regards,
    Jorge

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm also interested in the 2013 SLX brakes. In your opinion is the slx a better choice than a Magura MT2? I can't decide between these.
    To answer your queston i think you shoud use the stronger brake on the dh and the less powerful or lighter on the xc bike.
    Last edited by trailrider24; 12-15-2012 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with SLX!