mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shimano SM RT 64 or RT 67 for Deore BR-M596 calipers?

Hi,

I just got a Stevens Cross-country bike that is fitted with Shimano Deore BR-M596 brakes and 160mm Shimano SM RT 54 discs both front and rear. In my area (Switzerland) there are pretty steep descents and I'd like to upgrade both front and rear discs to 180mm (my fork does not allow going up to 203 mm). The thing is that the original discs (SM RT 54) are rather poor and Shimano itself recommends running the SM RT 64 with the BR-M596 calipers. However I saw that I can get the SLX SM RT 67 discs for about the same price as the RT 64. As far as I understood the SLX SM RT 67 discs are Ice Tech rotors whereas the SM RT 64 are not Ice Tech. Obviously my calipers will not accept Ice Tech finned pads but I will run regular sintered pads.

Do you think there is any benefit in getting the SM RT 67 over the SM RT 64 providing they sell for the same price? Will I benefit from the Ice Tech rotors?

The SM RT 67 are not explicitly mentionned to be compatible with the BR-M596 calipers whereas the SM RT 64 are. Could you confirm that the SM RT 67 are compatible with the BR-M596 brakes?

Obviously I will get 180mm adaptors too since I'm currently running 160mm discs.

Thanks for your input!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All Shimano rotors are compatible with all of their brakes, every Shimano brake pad is the same height and they only differ in length. I've used the same Shimano rotor with an M596, XT, and Zee. The RT67 will work just fine with M596 calipers.

As for regular vs. Ice-tech rotors, I honestly don't know since I've never used one on my bikes. In theory the RT67 will be better suited for you since you're in Switzerland which has a lot of mountains where the descents will get the brakes nice & hot, Ice-Tech rotors should help keep things cooler and prevent the brakes from overheating.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    All Shimano rotors are compatible with all of their brakes, every Shimano brake pad is the same height and they only differ in length. I've used the same Shimano rotor with an M596, XT, and Zee. The RT67 will work just fine with M596 calipers.

As for regular vs. Ice-tech rotors, I honestly don't know since I've never used one on my bikes. In theory the RT67 will be better suited for you since you're in Switzerland which has a lot of mountains where the descents will get the brakes nice & hot, Ice-Tech rotors should help keep things cooler and prevent the brakes from overheating.
    Thanks that sounds good! I'll order the SM RT 67 rotors then since they look better than the RT 64 anyway and this Ice Tech stuff may be something good. Thanks again for your help!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    All Shimano rotors are compatible with all of their brakes, every Shimano brake pad is the same height and they only differ in length.
    This is 99% true, but not for the Deore 555 calipers. These have a wider brake track and use a rotor with the same profile as Avid stuff. The rotor they use is SM rt61.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have ordered 2 sm rt 67 rotors 180mm for my br m596 calipers and intend to use Trucker&co sintered pads with them. However I came across a post on a forum (can't find it anymore though) that said that Ice Tech rotors should NOT be usef with standard (non Ice Tech) calipers as during testing Shimano got rotor failures with that setup as the heat generated by non-Ice Tech pads was too high and lead to a separation of the 2 steel layers of the Ice-Tech rotors. I understand that I won't get the full benefit of Ice Tech if the pads and calipers do not support it but is it actually possible that it might kill the Ice Tech rotors (such as RT 67) if we run zhem with non Ice Tech calipers/pads (such as BR M596)??? I've been unable to find a proper warning from Shimano on that point. Do you have any info about that? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I found this link to different tests done by an independant German laboratory that compare brake performances of different Shimano calipers using different Shimano rotors (especially Ice-Tech ones):

velotech.de disc brake test

The tested the M596 calipers with resin pads with Ice-Tech rotors RT81 and RT67 and it seems that Ice-Tech rotors are perfectly suited to be used with non-Ice Tech calipers. This is in sharp contrast to what I read yesterday on this forum (see 2nd post Ice Tech rotors vs HS1 rotors).

I cannot find any "official" warning where Shimano recommends against the use of Ice-Tech rotors with non-Ice Tech calipers/pads. Actually it is quite the opposite...

The only weird thing on that test is that RT 67 rotors are labelled as "steel" whereas the RT81 are labelled as Ice Tech. I thought that both were Ice Tech...