Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Shimano SLX vs Hope Tech x2

can any one tell a noob coming from BB5's what the good and bad is about each of these.... or what else theyd reccomend the sub $150 market?
    the reviews on the SLx seem to be verry good but the hopes look so pretty (i knant buy on looks )

advice ?

b a n n e d
    Both of these will be over $150 because they don't include rotors or adapters.

What type of terrain do you ride? How much descending do you know?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't know what kind of terrain. Im in jersey so im guessing there is minimal hills compared to others? I will run them with my current rotors for now.....

b a n n e d
    If you are primarily riding XC oriented trails (i.e., more flat terrain) the X2's will be fine. I run them as a rear brake on my AM rig, but they would be very underpowered as a front brake, especially on some of the 2K+ foot descents I hit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok thanks. Im pretty set on the SLX's. The hopes just look alot better.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by davis119 View Post
    Ok thanks. Im pretty set on the SLX's. The hopes just look alot better.
    The SLX is a good brake, but in terms of adjustability and maintenance, they pale in comparison to Hope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The SLX is a good brake, but in terms of adjustability and maintenance, they pale in comparison to Hope.
    ill research more when the time comes...... but i think i want something powerful......

and how are the hopes as far a noise

b a n n e d
    ill research more when the time comes...... but i think i want something powerful......

and how are the hopes as far a noise
    My guess is that the X2 and SLX will be comparable in power. My Hope's are dead friggin' silent.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hopes all the way your comparing one of shimanos low end brakes to a industry high end. The hopes are made completly from cnc billet alluminum where the shimano is cast which is mush heavier and weaker. Only thing is be prepared tomess with washers to adjust the alignment of the caliper to the rotor but once you get it it set for life also do it with new pads makes a one time adjust as sometimes pads wear uneven then you put new pads in and its not set.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by erickson032 View Post
    Hopes all the way your comparing one of shimanos low end brakes to a industry high end. The hopes are made completly from cnc billet alluminum where the shimano is cast which is mush heavier and weaker. Only thing is be prepared tomess with washers to adjust the alignment of the caliper to the rotor but once you get it it set for life also do it with new pads makes a one time adjust as sometimes pads wear uneven then you put new pads in and its not set.
    Washers?

I've not had to deal with any washer's on my Hope's. And uneven pad wear is suggestive of improperly centered pistons and/or caliper.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sometimes they line up but most of the mono ones used washer where the adapter bolted to the fork to adjust the alignment with the rotor instead of having set bolts and elongated holes where you could move the caliper itself and tighten the bolts

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    ...... but i think i want something powerful......
    Power ratings: How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok. Thanks so its going to come down to more reviews since they are about the same power wise
    thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    that is a very 1D test and seems at odds with alot of peoples findings.

hell i own two of the brakes tested (xt & rx) and i took the more powerful one according to the test off my bike and replaced it the weaker one according to the test as they had trouble slowing me down. where as the weaker ones according to the test are stopping me fine on the same trails

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by herb1234 View Post
    that is a very 1D test and seems at odds with alot of peoples findings.
    Absolutely. This doesn't factor in so many other variables that its almost a meaningless test.

~ B A D A S S ~
    here is a test
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    here is a test
    That is a very old graphic. The brakes and their power levels reflected in it do not represent Hope and Shimano's current lines of brakes and their performance at all. Both the new SLX M666/675 and Hope Evo (Tech and Race) X2 are significantly more powerful than the older versions of the brakes shown in the chart.

As for the OP's question, I have both the SLX M666's and Hope X2's, and can recommend either brake without any reservations. The SLX is incredibly powerful compared to almost anything out there, and the one-finger lever is the best I've ever tried, ergonomically speaking. The Hopes on the other hand are light, dependable, powerful, bling as heck and extremely easy to service. The levers are great too. Hope's customer service is also second to none, should you have any problems (I wish I could say the same for Shimano..).

If cost is not an object, I would suggest the Hopes on the count of better looks, serviceability, customer service, weight and all-around quality. For sheer performance and bang-for-buck the Shimano's can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anlin View Post
    That is a very old graphic. The brakes and their power levels reflected in it do not represent Hope and Shimano's current lines of brakes and their performance at all. Both the new SLX M666/675 and Hope Evo (Tech and Race) X2 are significantly more powerful than the older versions of the brakes shown in the chart.

As for the OP's question, I have both the SLX M666's and Hope X2's, and can recommend either brake without any reservations. The SLX is incredibly powerful compared to almost anything out there, and the one-finger lever is the best I've ever tried, ergonomically speaking. The Hopes on the other hand are light, dependable, powerful, bling as heck and extremely easy to service. The levers are great too. Hope's customer service is also second to none, should you have any problems (I wish I could say the same for Shimano..).

If cost is not an object, I would suggest the Hopes on the count of better looks, serviceability, customer service, weight and all-around quality. For sheer performance and bang-for-buck the Shimano's can't be beat.

Thanks man. Can't argue with some one that has both. I love the bling of the hopes but the review on pinkbike.com for the SLX's.... makes them sound great....

You mentioned if cost isn't an issue. Then go hope? The hopes are cheaper at jenson are cheaper 140$ .....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks man. Can't argue with some one that has both. I love the bling of the hopes but the review on pinkbike.com for the SLX's.... makes them sound great....

You mentioned if cost isn't an issue. Then go hope? The hopes are cheaper at jenson are cheaper 140$ .....
    Do you have a link?

$140 for a pair of X2's? Either you have mistaken the price of a single brake for the price of a set, or you my friend have found the deal of the millenium. The Hopes usually cost around $300 for a pair without discs or hardware. The SLX's are about half that.

meh
    $140 is for one front or rear, so 280 total without rotors

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anlin View Post
    Do you have a link?

$140 for a pair of X2's? Either you have mistaken the price of a single brake for the price of a set, or you my friend have found the deal of the millenium. The Hopes usually cost around $300 for a pair without discs or hardware. The SLX's are about half that.
    Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant $140 each. Vs $150 ea for the SLX's. Where did u find the SLX's for half the price of hopes? Am I looking ag the wrong hopes? I know I need adapters and rotors im not counting that.

Edit sorry they are the same price. I was mistaken

Hope Tech X2 Evo Disc Brake 2012 > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Shimano SLX M675 Pre-Bled Brake Kit > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought my M666's from Rose Bikes over in Germany. The pair cost 124.95 shipped, or $154.50 (according to Google). If you are buying the brakes without rotors, it may be worthwhile to look at the 2012 M666's instead of the newer 2013 M675's as the brakes themselves are 98% the same, the main difference between the models is in the rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok. But the hope model in the link is the same one u have?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a pair of Race Evo X2's. The brakes in the link (Tech Evo X2) are the same except for the lever, which is lighter but less adjustable in the Race models.

MTB B'dos
    Um, just an FYI, but you can find the new XT785s for under $150 US easily, just do some searching and then price match @ Jenson if that's where you use. Another FYI, if you get the Hopes, get the braided lines one time, you'll be glad you ponied up the little extra $$ for the difference in feel between them and the standard lines.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast