mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Shimano Slx Help

i got done riding yesterday and decided to clean my bike and relube everything. i did this and decided to center my brakes again because i havent touched them since i got them which was about 4 months ago. so i center the brakes and notice that the front has a slight rub that is off and on and sometimes is off and on, hard to describe. my rear brake is also squeking now. any sugestions.

i also took a very hard fall that day at the trial i went off a drop on a downhill part and my front tire twisted when it hit a branch that was on the trail, i went over the handlebars but im good now, i just had a swore shoulder for a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When you say you centered the brakes, did you loosen the caliper mounting bolts, pump the lever a bunch then hold it while you gently tighten the bolts? After you do this you should be able to see a very small amount of clearance between each pad and the rotor. While the wheel is rotating, look to see if there is any significant bends in the rotor.

Another thing to check is how much each piston is out, if one is out more than the other you'll want to push the pistons back into their bores. This is actually quite easy, First pull out the pads (use pliers to smash the cotter pin to flat and pull that out then take the pads out the top), then use an allen wrench to push or gently pry the piston back into the caliper. Reinstall pads and cotter pin and then re-center the caliper, you may have to slowly pump the lever a few times to get the pistons to come all the way out.

Let me know if that doesn't work for ya, i've got these brakes and have been happy with them. They have taken a bit more tinkering than i'd like but they work well when setup properly.

...idios...
    "...then use an allen wrench to push or gently pry the piston back into the caliper."

That's not good advice. Use a plastic tyre lever for pushing pistons, otherwise you run the risk of damaging the pistons, especially those that use phenolic. Also ensure that you apply pressure to the dead-center of the piston to reduce the risk of twisting the piston in the bore. For brakes which have a central post in the piston (Hayes/Avid), the box end of a 10mm box-end spanner is a good tool.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks ill give you an update tomorrow i didnt have time to ride them tonight

Old man on a bike
    Missing why you needed to recenter the brake calipers, but in addition to the other suggestions you might check your rotors to see if there's a slight warp and you just need a bit of truing....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Missing why you needed to recenter the brake calipers, but in addition to the other suggestions you might check your rotors to see if there's a slight warp and you just need a bit of truing....
    i just wanted to do it because there was a slight rub in the front and i havent touched them in about 4 months so i figured they would have to be recentered. there is a slight warp in my front rotor, its in the same place where my fron tire is out of tune. its not that bad and i figure it was when i took a nasty fall off a good size drop off going downhill.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...uing+Fork.aspx

is that the tool to use

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt123
    i just wanted to do it because there was a slight rub in the front and i havent touched them in about 4 months so i figured they would have to be recentered. there is a slight warp in my front rotor, its in the same place where my fron tire is out of tune. its not that bad and i figure it was when i took a nasty fall off a good size drop off going downhill.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...uing+Fork.aspx

is that the tool to use
    That's a good tool, personally I just use a small adjustable wrench. The rotor may have taken a hit when your wheel did (but the wheel being out of true isn't going to directly affect your rotor being out of true, separate issues).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok thanks if i just use a wrench should i put something soft in between or would it not matter

Old man on a bike
    If you use an adjustable wrench just adjust it so it just fits over the rotor...look at the tool you linked for an idea...
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0