mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Shimano SL-M510 Deore & M755 issues?

Hi, I'm going to buy a Rockhopper disc when the bike comes on sale later this year but I want to upgrade the disc brakes that come with the bike (Shimano M525 hydraulic) as soon as I get it. I want to upgrade to M755 XT but was wondering about compatibility issues with the shift leavers? Will they still screw on to the new components or do they need to be upgraded to XT too? Are there any other compatibility issues (apart from the hubs)?? Can anyone help? Would much appreciate any info people can give!

Thanks

Owain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owain_iorwerth
    Hi, I'm going to buy a Rockhopper disc when the bike comes on sale later this year but I want to upgrade the disc brakes that come with the bike (Shimano M525 hydraulic) as soon as I get it. I want to upgrade to M755 XT but was wondering about compatibility issues with the shift leavers? Will they still screw on to the new components or do they need to be upgraded to XT too? Are there any other compatibility issues (apart from the hubs)?? Can anyone help? Would much appreciate any info people can give!

Thanks

Owain
    The levers are interchangable, but you will need a new hose kit, the XT caliper req's a banjo fitting instead of the 525 male fitting. I think the part # is BH 63 or BH62 its one of those. If you go to the shimano site under technical they have a comparison and interchangeability chart.

To note; I just got the xt 755 for $100 at supergo and it came w/the right hose, caliper, rotor and lever, the lever and hose is worth over $100 alone. check it out.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    By the way the I had the 525 and it worked pretty well, the 755 does work better tho.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

"El Whatever"

Thanks

Owain
    And the M-510?????????????????
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Yes...

If I understand you correctly, you are replacing 525 with 755, as a complete set ?
    i.e that includes calipers hoses and levers ?
    If that is correct, you should have no issues with your shift levers. Your existing hubs and rotors will work fine.

However you may wish to just replace your calipers with 755/756 it should be significantly cheaper. And I believe you can do so without replacing hoses since both 755/756 and 525 use the same banjo end at the caliper.

The levers 525 and 756 levers are identical. The 755 levers are older..

Thanks

Owain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    And I believe you can do so without replacing hoses since both 755/756 and 525 use the same banjo end at the caliper.
    actually no the 525 caliper does not have the banjo fitting, but the straight male insert like the lever, I think its call the BH59, youll need either the bh62 or 63 which ever has a banjo at one end and male fitting at the other.

I jus did this, 525 -> 755, its cheaper just to buy the Xt kit as you get the fluid, line, rotor, caliper and lever for $100. The hose seperately is $30 the fluid is another $12, the rotor is another $30 and if your running 525's youll need to buy all 3 of these plus the caliper, so unless you can get the caliper for $15 bucks Id just get the XT kit for $100

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    My $.02 worth: The 525s work pretty good for XC work. Biggest problem I had with them was loud howls coming from the rotors. Figured out that the problem was not the brakes but the flexy stout hub/skraxle. I replaced the wheels with custom built WTB LL/VXC (actual 1570 gram)wheels with quality (Salsa now Hope) skewers and all howling stopped. I suggest that you look to a wheel upgrade. Unless you have lots of downhill riding, the 525s will stop well.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    actually no the 525 caliper does not have the banjo fitting, but the straight male insert like the lever, I think its call the BH59, youll need either the bh62 or 63 which ever has a banjo at one end and male fitting at the other.

I jus did this, 525 -> 755, its cheaper just to buy the Xt kit as you get the fluid, line, rotor, caliper and lever for $100. The hose seperately is $30 the fluid is another $12, the rotor is another $30 and if your running 525's youll need to buy all 3 of these plus the caliper, so unless you can get the caliper for $15 bucks Id just get the XT kit for $100

wayne

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! This is very helpful information you've provided. I've had a look online and, call me stupid, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that sells that the BH62 or 63? Also I couldn't find the M755 kit that you told me about on that web site? Do they still stock it? Could you provide some links for me so I could purchase some stuff online?

Thanks once again!

Owain

mtbr member
    Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! This is very helpful information you've provided. I've had a look online and, call me stupid, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that sells that the BH62 or 63? Also I couldn't find the M755 kit that you told me about on that web site? Do they still stock it? Could you provide some links for me so I could purchase some stuff online?

Thanks once again!

Owain
    Heres the official shimano compatability chart:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...ombination.pdf

Supergo is weird, they just got bought by performance and have changed the way they do business. Their retail stores offer things their web store doesnt and vice versa. The Xt is an in store only item I guess. Intitially I was gonna go w/Saint, but they only offer it online not in store so the guy sold me on the XT, becus its 1/2 the price when all added up. Do you have a supergo near you? If not I can call the local one and still see if they have the XT's left and if your really intereste maybe we can figure soemthing out.

PS
    any bike shop can order the brake hose you need, but is included in the XT kit.
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member

Thanks once again!

Owain
    Here ya go $89 at cambriabike.com

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=13449

You may want to call and ask if it comes w/the hose and fluid. You dont realize how good this deal is until you know that all other shimano brakes the caliper and hose/lever are sold seperatley.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR