Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Shimano says I shouldn't hang my bike upside down?

I hang all my bikes upside down from the garage ceiling. Just got new XT brakes (not installed yet) and the factory install doc says if the bike is stored upside down air bubbles may go to the calipers, affecting operation. It never seemed to affect my Elixirs. Anyone notice problems after hanging the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I hang mine and no problems,i have xo brakes.

mtbr member
    Give er a squeeze or two when you put the bike right side up on the ground and you should be ok. In theory yes the caliper will end up with the bubbles, but I dont think its a big deal...
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i put rubber bands around the levers to get the system in the closed state. That way no bubbles can enter the line

mtbr member
    Good tip! I have a buddy who hangs his upside down and he'll appreciate that
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I just hang right side up - one hook on the handlebar or stem, one on the seat. But if you only have room to hang vertically from the front tire, then, yeah, thanks for advice catalyst and bbl, good tips.

Maya333

Had my bike upside down too; rear brake not working, help me or something

Quote Originally Posted by Cata1yst View Post
    Give er a squeeze or two when you put the bike right side up on the ground and you should be ok. In theory yes the caliper will end up with the bubbles, but I dont think its a big deal...

Hi, I had some rubbing on the rear brake (avid elixir 3), so I've put the bike upside down, removed the wheel, removed the pads' bolt, took out the pads, cleaned them a bit, put them back and after placing the bolt back (into its place ) I did that flat - screwdriver trick, to assure, the pistons are moved inside and the pads are spread, to let the wheel in. Additionally I was up to align the caliper, so as soon as I mounted the wheel back, I have loosened the bolts holding the caliper to the frame. With the bike STILL upside down I pressed the brake lever, to force the caliper to align itself. Well, to my consternation the lever voyaged all the way to the handlebar and the brake pads didn't move the slightest bit. Not one of them. Still not totally broken I've pushed it several times. Totally broken I gave up. With small residues of hope I've put the bike on its wheels and pressed the lever about 10 times; not even the slightest change was noticed. Pistons are NOT stuck or dirty. I did it the same way with the front brake earlier and it works perfectly, I did throw the bike upside down and back as well and did the whole procedure in the same way. I just mention, that there is no leak of the breaking fluid on any of the system's points.
    One more clue maybe: some good 2 months ago I had to dismount the wheels to put the bike to my basement. Working it down the steep steps I pressed the brake levers of both brakes right to the end (ok, I accept if You call me a genius or so...), but later on, when I forced the distance between the pads, to put the wheels back in, both brakes were working fine. Any good or bad ideas? Cheers, Fil

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bleed the brake and you should be fine.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is only an issue if you follow shimano's unsafe "bleed free" line shortening procedure. A quick one way bleed from the caliper to the lever fixes it.

mtbr member
    It's a sealed system. Air will not enter the system, for any reason, in any orientation, unless there's a leak.

Or if the fluid is very old, and you get the brakes hot enough to boil the moisture in the brake fluid.....but that won't occur from hanging it upside down.

Try an experiment...fill a bottle up with water. Tighten the cap. Sit it right side up on a table for exactly ten minutes. Then flip it upside down on the table for exactly ten minutes.

Did any air enter the bottle?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It occurs when the lines are shortened without bleeding the brakes. I'm pretty sure the line shortening tech doc is what the OP is referring to. I doubt new brakes with un-cut lines will have air in them.

mtbr member
    If there is already air in the system and you hang it upside down, yes, the air will travel up (rather down) the line and into the caliper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I know it wasn't good for my Fork.

My Fox fork had problems from hanging upside down but not brakes.

Maya333
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Bleed the brake and you should be fine.
    Yeah, short, but perfect advice For now I have just bumped the affected back wheel on the ground about 20 times, squeezing the brake lever several times as well in this time. I guess the air travelled form the caliper up, so the brake works, but it's still far from working perfectly. Bleeding is the only way to really fix it. Thanks!!!

MTB B'dos
    The water bottle experiment may be accurate in no air entering the bottle while upside down, but is not relevant o this discussion, as depending on who and how the brakes were setup/installed they could very well not be perfectly bled, and/or the fluid wasn't properly bled before use and hence air is in the system.
    If you flip the bike upside down and there is some air in the system and it migrates into the caliper it's a royal PITA and you will have to do a bleed to remove it. Now if you have a perfectly bled system, where fluid was bled of air properly and then system was bled properly there should be no issues, but when does anything get done absolutely perfectly. If you have hydro brakes and store your bike upside down, make sure and let the bike sit for 5-10 minutes to encourage any air that might have worked towards the calipers to work itself back to the reservoir/lever.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shehateme View Post
    My Fox fork had problems from hanging upside down but not brakes.
    What problem did it create with the fork?

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    My solution for my tiny ass apartment was like 50 bucks at Dick's. It's a rack that requires one screw into the dry wall and has nice, rubber-coated hooks on two vertical bars to the floor with rubber feet to prevent sliding. It could be sturdier by finding a stud and using a longer screw but it works fine for me so far. I plan to add shelving behind it for shoes and gear that are on the floor now. Sorry no pics. I have them on my pc but no web link.

mtbr member
    I hang my bike up side down and never had a problem. The likelihood of the air bubble traveling through the small hose to the caliper is slim to none. If it ever were to happen you could just lightly apply the brake before hanging it up side down, that should plug off the bleed port enough that the bubble will not transfer end to end. But again, I doubt it will ever transfer ends, the passage is just too small for that to happen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If the brake is bled air free there is no concern of which way you hang the bike. If there is air in the reservoir, when ya hang it upside down, it will migrate into the master cylinder piston bore and all the way up to the caliper, causing the brake to fail to engage. Air compresses lots, fluids none, natch. Can that air pocket migrate? You bet. Can it end up in the caliper? Sure enough. Will it require a bleed to remedy? Absolutely. But this would be one of those times where it pays to read the instructiosn a few times and look at an exploded view diagram so you can see how things like port holes and bleed ports line up, to figure out where that air pocket will likely get trapped in the reservoir, and what to do to mitigate it.
    You are not what you own.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
    I hang my bike up side down and never had a problem. The likelihood of the air bubble traveling through the small hose to the caliper is slim to none.
    So slim it happened the very first night I hung my bike up after installing xt brakes and doing the "bleed free" line trim.

Let's fly!
    I had frequent problems with my Hayes brakes going mushy. I bled them, felt great for a ride, then went mushy again. I bled them again, even more carefully, lots of tapping with the head of a screwdriver to persuade bubbles to leave, and again they felt great for one ride. Then mushy.

Paid a shop to bleed them, they went mushy again. The shop asked if my bike gets stored upside down and I replied "yes". They told me to stop doing that. Like someone said previously, I thought "sealed system, that doesn't make any sense", but I was tired of mushy brakes. I stopped storing it upside down. The brakes stopped going mushy.

That was several years ago. I stopped storing upside and stopped flipping my bike over to work on it. No further problems.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have you ever noticed the warning on the Shimano brake package to store the box in an upright position? Neither have I, so if the brake hose is wound up in a circle and the caliper is above the lever while stored in the box before installation wouldn't the same problem occur?

We store bikes from the ceiling in our shop, just like thousands of other bike shops, without much problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^^He has a good point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm planning on getting the M785s later & I store my bike upside. I think I'll get the hardware to do it upright from the ceiling. It seems like there would have to be an issue to get air in the system from hangin gupside down or even more likely during a crash- the bike flipping a time or 2.

What about flipping the bike over on the trail to change a tire? Certainly can't expect too many riders to have the gear to bleed the brakes trailside.

I'm currently using BB7s & reading all the hydro issues makes me nervous. Just seems like more to possibly go wrong....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast