mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Shimano saint br-m810

Hi, I ordered a Shimano saint disc brake( assembled) for my hybrid bike. I was wondering if this pre-bled brakes need an additional refill of mineral oil? I also need to know if this particular brake has to be paired with a saint disc rotor and saint hub?

The bike that I have has the stock shimano center lock rear hub and the disc rotor. I need to be up and running as soon as possible. I haven't ridden my bike for over a week since the crash. I expect to receive the brakes on monday and it's disappointing to pass up a good weekend.

mtbr member
    Most of the time you will not need to add any oil to the brake, unless you have to trim the lines.
    The caliper itself does not need a specific Saint rotor or hub to work and they should be fine with the current rotor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Most of the time you will not need to add any oil to the brake, unless you have to trim the lines.
    The caliper itself does not need a specific Saint rotor or hub to work and they should be fine with the current rotor.

Thanks man, I appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I already received the Saint rear brake and I find the cable too long. It doesn't look neat after everything got installed. So far, the brake is working but the brake lever is not firm compared to my previous hydraulic brakes. I'm going to shorten the cable as soon as I receive the knipex cable cutter. However, I really have no idea as to how I will do the procedure. I was looking for a video on youtube particularly about how to shorten a Shimano cable but to no avail. But I came across to a demo on an Avid hydraulic brakes on how to shorten a cable and it looks easy provided with the right tools and it seems that it doesn't require a rebleeding. On the other hand, the yellow spacer was not included in the package. Is the yellow spacer universal regardless of the brand name? or is there a specific spacer for the Saint caliper?

mtbr member
    Try this guide - http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...20Trimming.pdf

Should give you an idea of what's involved. Or, if you're like me, I looked at it, went "meh", and took the brakes to my LBS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the link for the guide it looks very helpful. As for the yellow hose clamp unfortunately it was not included in the Saint package and found an alternative tool for inserting the olive as oppose to using a hammer. Jagwire has this needle insertion tool. I hope it would make the process a lot easier. I also was wondering as to why the yellow bleed spacer was not included in the package. There is an available bleed spacer for the Saint m800 online but it's not compatible with the m810 according to a Shimano rep. Furthermore, my LBS is just a couple of miles away which I normally take my bike for tune ups. Somehow, my bike is already up and running despite the untidy brake hose that is dangling close to the front brake lever. It would also be a pleasure to educate myself when it comes to bike components.