mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Shimano Saint or Avid Juicy Sevens?

I picked up some Juicy Sevens a short time ago but haven't had an opportunity to even take them out yet. But I've seen a pretty good deal on a Shimano Saint brake set for pretty cheap but I don't have any personal experience with the Saint line. I'm presuming it's got to be pretty decent stuff? What would you use if you were doing more XC to slightly downhill?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    saints are for dh/fr, I'd stick with the 7's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so is the main diff between the 7s and the Saints the weight or is there a functional difference as well?

mtbr member
    The 7's give you the sought after squealing/turkey warble effect. Depending on which year the saints are, they may only fit on the saint hubs (oversized C-lock).

squish is good
    Juicy 7's are great brakes that are light weight, good adjustability and when set up properly don't make as much noise as some think. Their power pales in comparison with Saint's though, I'm not exaggerating, we're talking about an order of magnitude in difference. So you either get not super heavy but CRAZY power = Saints orrelatively lightweight and more standard issue power with a slightly finicky setup.

Honestly, your comparing apples to oranges. You can find great deals on Elixer R's which I believe are extremely capable brakes even without the pad contact adjustment compared to Juicy 7's right now. Unless your riding near vertical trails the Saints will always be overkill even though they are an amazing brake.
    Bike good, work bad.