mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Shimano Saint 2013 M820 hose kit (Need to make a longer hose)

Need some help on where to look for a hose kit that will allow me to make a longer hose for a 2013 Shimano Saint M820 brake.

I have contacted Jagwire and Goodridge with no luck. They do not offer a kit at this time.

I am wondering if the extra long (heat sink) banjo fitting is a challenge for them.

I was wondering if an SLX, XT, or XTR kit might work?

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Has anyone made a new longer hose for a 2013 Shimano Saint M820 brake? If so, what kit did you use?

Thanks,
    Steve

Plays with tools
    Have you tried calling Shimano? Many times their OE hose replacement kits are longer than they supply the brakes with. Don't know how much more length you need but it might be enough. What kind of bike are you setting up that the stock lines aren't long enough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Need some help on where to look for a hose kit that will allow me to make a longer hose for a 2013 Shimano Saint M820 brake.

I have contacted Jagwire and Goodridge with no luck. They do not offer a kit at this time.

I am wondering if the extra long (heat sink) banjo fitting is a challenge for them.

I was wondering if an SLX, XT, or XTR kit might work?

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Has anyone made a new longer hose for a 2013 Shimano Saint M820 brake? If so, what kit did you use?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Goodridge, Kit #107...? A normal banjo won't work? It works for the M988.

Edit: sorry, I guess it's a Kit #108
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am setting up a mountain tandem. The run to the back brake is quite long.

Spoke to Shimano reps at a bike demo last weekend and no joy there.

Maybe I contact Shimano direct.

I was hoping the normal banjo would work just fine. My guess is that it will. I don't care about the extra long banjo that the Saint uses. I am more interested if the banjo uses the same size bolt as the rest of the Shimano line. If so, viola! problem solved. That is what I would have thought Goodridge or Jagwire would have said. I did not get that from them so it made me wonder.

Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Steveoo,
    On the original Avid Juicy, and now on the the new Shimano brakes, yound reuse the caliper's original bolt. I dunno if you can use an Avid bolt in the Shimano. But if you could, it offers another bleed port where you can thread in a Avid bleed needle, and allow you to pull a vacuum and degas the mineral oil. But, if you have an old Hayes bleed kit w/ one of those hose spring, you can use an Avid bleed needle aand pull a vacuum also.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good thought on using the Avid bolt. I will check it out as I do like and need ALL the air out of such a long hose run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Good thought on using the Avid bolt. I will check it out as I do like and need ALL the air out of such a long hose run.
    I'd look into a cpl of fitting kits (#108), then buy bulk hose ala carte. I think UniversalCycle has ala carte bits. If not, or you're across the pond, Chainreactioncyclery.com def does.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is it confirmed that the #108 will fit on the M820 (both on the caliper and lever side)?

I don't see the M820 listed on the application list so just wanted to make sure before I place my order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    Is it confirmed that the #108 will fit on the M820 (both on the caliper and lever side)?

I don't see the M820 listed on the application list so just wanted to make sure before I place my order.
    I made my own from bits I had sitting around. But when I match up what I used w/ what's on Chainreactioncyclery's Goodridge page it matches up w/ Kit #110.

What you'll need is one M8 x 0.75 male fixed or swivel, and a banjo, per side.
    When I looked at the pics, 107 shows 2 banjo and a M8 male fixed. A 108 has one banjo and one M8 male fixed. What I used a a banjo for a Juicy, and a M8 male swivel. The swivel allows for the proper angle to be set w/o the hose getting all twisted up.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So basically both the 107, 108 will fit since they all have the necessary fittings but 110 will be even better since it has a male swivel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    So basically both the 107, 108 will fit since they all have the necessary fittings but 110 will be even better since it has a male swivel?
    It's what I used...

Just a FYI, setting the angle on the swivel involves a bit of trial & error...
    If you go this way, do yourself a favor and get the stainless fittings since you'll need a pair of vice-grips to grab the inner portion of the swivel to snug everything up. I was hoping Goodridge would put a Torx or hex socket on the end of the inner swivel so I wouldn't mank up the fitting w/ the vice-grip.

Edit: sorry, brain-farted. Put the fitting for the lever on the lever first, then thread it onto the hose...no vice-grip needed
    Last edited by Pau11y; 12-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm interested in the reverse of the OPs question. Anyone know if the BH90 hose with the New Saint long gold banjo is compatible with XT calipers? Sorry if the question is answered already. I'm not able to decipher the answer from the kit explanations.

Edit: This is in reference to M785's. Thanks!
    Last edited by howard619; 12-15-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added model