Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano RXO for cross country racing?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
Is this a heavy brake system? Power really strong with a 180mm rotor?

Thx,

Jay

#4 ·
I think it is one of their heavy sets (all RO set is 360g w/ 160mm rotor?). Too powerful for XC racing? I think the 180/160 combo would be more than what is needed for XC racing (Formula has put the RO in the FR/DH category), but perfectly doable. I bought the RXO to try on my Nomad (but used my existing 203/180 rotors). I only have 1 or 2 rides so far, but they are strong with good modulation. As comparison, the old Megas that I took off may have better modulation, but may have less power. Very small differences though.

But I do not like the new Formula rotors. Seem difficult to set up right, and tend to be noisy when well used (my limited experience). I tried to use the 180 on the rear of the Nomad, but never could quiet it down while breaking it in (with many adjustments). I am using the 180/160 rotors that came with the RXO on my XC HT with the K24s. They seem OK, but I can "feel" that they are trying to sing. I never heat those up though. The new rotors are very light.

#7 ·
I received them and they look nice. The rotors do seem flimsy. It goes look like they give much rotor clearance but my old Bianco Oro Puro's don't either. Hopefully they won't be so temperamental. I may sell them on Flea Bay....not sure yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.