mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Shimano RT66 vs RT86 Rotor Weight

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble finding the weight of the below rotor's. I wanted to know what the difference is. I know the RT66 is 1 piece vs the RT86 two piece.

Shimano Disc Rotor SLX SM-RT66M 180mm
    Shimano Disc Rotor XT SM-RT86M 180mm

Thanks

mtbr member
    Why are you wanting to know? Seriously.

I do not consider them as comparable, as their function is different. One is a standard rotor (66) while the other is the ice tech (86). Just get the one that will do what you want it to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Simply what is the weight of each rotor.

mtbr member
    Probably best to post in the weight weenie forum then. I tend to make my decisions based on function over weight.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Put 'Shimano SM-RT66M' or 'SM-RT66M' into google images and do a search, then put 'Shimano SM-RT86M' or 'SM-RT86M' into google images and do a search.

I think that you'll find the answer to the question very quickly.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Put 'Shimano SM-RT66M' or 'SM-RT66M' into google images and do a search, then put 'Shimano SM-RT86M' or 'SM-RT86M' into google images and do a search.

I think that you'll find the answer to the question very quickly.
    +1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    got the answer, thanks cobba

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Why are you wanting to know? Seriously.

I do not consider them as comparable, as their function is different. One is a standard rotor (66) while the other is the ice tech (86). Just get the one that will do what you want it to.
    You don't "consider them comparable, as their function is different"? Yes, one is a brake rotor, while the other is a wafer for shoving up the *&$@# of pedantic unhelpful jerk-offs like @Shalom up here.

They are both rotors. They both provide a surface for calipers to squeeze some pads against. They are both made of metal, and both dissipate heat.

RT66: 115g in 160mm
    RT86: 112g in 160mm

In other words, virtually the same weight. What Shalom might have been trying to refer to, but was too much as a jack@ss to actually explain to you, is that the differences in performance between the two models are likely to vastly outweigh minor differences in weight -- even for weight weenies. The stopping power of the Icetech rotors (like the RT86) is widely praised. The RT66 is just your average, good rotor. The other big difference is cost - the 86 will tend to cost almost double what the RT66 does. So this is one of those cases where what you get for your extra money isn't lighter weight, but better performance. You've got to decide whether it's worth an extra $20 or so. (If you're combining with new brake calipers, I vote for the RT86s. If you're mixing with older Shimano or Avid calipers, then stick with the RT66.)

mtbr member
    A little late to the party, but we will forgive you for that. Also, apologies for clearly not being as eloquent as you.

However, in saying that, it looks like you are having a bad day. Would you like a hug?