mtbr member
    May 2004

shimano replacement levers

So i have the old 4 piston shimano discs (8" fr, 6" r) and i think my levers have finally kicked the bucket. Is it possible to put newer shimano levers on these brakes , i.e. Saint levers? If thats possible, how about the cheaper LX levers that are like $50 at jenson.com....what will i be losing by going with the LX levers over the SAINT...

mtbr member
    Yes, all shimano levers are compatible with all calipers; you just need to makes sure you get the correct hoses. From all the comments I have read there are no real differences in feel, although the higher end seems to have more or better seals. I'd go with the LX to save the $$.

Tim

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wombat nailed it.... actually the thing is not the hose itself, but the connecting hardware... the hose kits have different hardware depending on the connection (90 deg or 0-deg) that the lever and caliper have.

If I remember correctly the 755 levers and caliper use a 90 degree connector (there was a later 756 lever with 0-deg connector)... and current levers (saint, XT, etc) are inline (0 degree)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My levers are definitely inline, however, under hard braking i will sometimes notice the hoses pushing out from the lever...I'd hate to see the hose pop out when im braking my hardest and fluid gush everywhere during a ride....is it possible to put more secure hoses or fittings on this setup. I think a good bleed and new pads will do the trick for me...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Don't worry... it would be really hard for the hose to come out.... since the olive is being pressed by the screw onto the connecting insert... you could tear the hose before actually making it come apart...

if your current hoses are 0 degree, you could do a straight swap... but I would get a pair of olives & inserts (very cheap), just in case you need to replace them.