mtbr member

Shimano question

I have a set of slx with the ice tech caliper and pad set up. I noticed when I set the bike up on its back tire for any period of time longer than a few seconds I lose. Resistance in my brake levers. Seems like air must be the issue. Am I looking at just topping off the reservoir
    Or a complete bleed?

...a wiggle theres a way
    I would suggest just doing a complete bleed. This way the air will be eliminated from the system, you'll have new fluid, and your brakes will fill great.The nice thing about shimano brakes are they are very easy to bleed, when compared to avids.
    -Joe

mtbr member
    Your pads may be worn and the fluid level has dropped in the master cylinder, so when you upend your bike the air moves to the lever. If topping it up fixes it then you should be fine.

I also agree with wiggy that bleeding these brakes is easy.

Tim

Plays with tools
    Wombot is most likely correct. But in my experience if you've worn that much pad you could use fresh fluid. Go ahead and flush new fluid through the system and ride with confidence.

Cow Clicker
    Or get new pads.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would do a complete bleed and put new pats in the brakes.

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Your pads may be worn and the fluid level has dropped in the master cylinder, so when you upend your bike the air moves to the lever. If topping it up fixes it then you should be fine.

I also agree with wiggy that bleeding these brakes is easy.

Tim
    New set up... I had to shorten, thought I had bled them adequately but guess I was wrong. Doubt it's pads... Less than 20 miles on them and look fine. Gonna just go ahead and re-bleed. Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna keep in the arsenal for future refererce.
    Pete

mtbr member
    Complete bleed did the trick.

mtbr member
    In review I did this bleed exactly as instructed. Four things I did this time (now seems pretty obvious) but did not do the first time were: 1) lightly tap the caliper during bleed. 2) after the bleed use a band to keep the brake lever pulled & then open and close the bleed screw a few times for 1/2 sec each to force air out of caliper. 3) with bleed screw closed depress lever a few times to get any other air up to reseviour and finally 4) topped the reseviour to point overfilled.
    As a newb it seemed overkill the first time as I saw no air draining into drain system from bleed nipple the first time. This time I added the 4 steps above, after I THOUGHT no air in system, saw tiny bubbles (my guess is this was the culprit). Braking power is night and day, also no change noted in lever resistance when I stand bike on rear tire or flip it upside down now. Thanks to all for the advice.