No Fear

Shimano Piston seal

Actually i tore up a Shimano m 545 caliper...

For a clean up and i ended up with a question !!!!

This is the Square ring ( seal ) that seals round the pistons....

One side has a grove on the other doesnt but at the moment i was getting it out i didt pay attention which side the grove was at .!!

Actually it wasnt like that i didnt pay attention....i was more like that i wasnt aware of its presence ....

According to my own hydraulic experience i thought the grove must face the outer face of the piston ( meaning towards the pads ) ..leaving the un grovved face to fully seal the fluid

but that was only a guess !!! Any body can help me ?
    Was i right ?

No Fear
    No one has no ideas ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The groove should face the fluid. The idea is that the fluid pressure rises and fills the groove and helps seal the gap
    When people ask me what I do, I don't tell them what I do for my job, I tell them I ride mountain bikes.

No Fear
    Quote Originally Posted by wile e. coyote View Post
    The groove should face the fluid. The idea is that the fluid pressure rises and fills the groove and helps seal the gap

By saying the idea is like that ....you mean your own idea so .its a guess or you mean shimano's idea therefore the seal definitely should have faced towards the fluid ...
    Coz i positioned it wrong and its working ....And its not on my own rig it was a friends....

have to call him back ..>!!!!