Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Reputation: Ratman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    333

    Shimano Needles and Olives

    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the needles and olives used for the 2012 XT Brakes and say the old M-756/765 levers?

    I just got a new set of 2012 XT Brakes in the mail today and I need to shorten the hoses. I have a supply of needles/olives on hand that were included with the older style brakes I purchased a while ago. I'm wondering if I can just use what I have or do I need to source parts specific to the new brakes.

    Thanks in advance.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

  2. #2
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    799
    they are different

  3. #3
    Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Reputation: Ratman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    they are different
    Thanks for the reply.

    I just ordered 5 olives and 5 barbs for $22 shipped on Amazon. Hopefully they don't take forever to arrive.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerthMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the needles and olives used for the 2012 XT Brakes and say the old M-756/765 levers?

    I just got a new set of 2012 XT Brakes in the mail today and I need to shorten the hoses. I have a supply of needles/olives on hand that were included with the older style brakes I purchased a while ago. I'm wondering if I can just use what I have or do I need to source parts specific to the new brakes.

    Thanks in advance.
    It's not about the brakes, but about the hose.

    The newer Shimano BH90 hose has a slightly smaller inside diameter (ID) to previous ones like BH59. Shimano say this improves performance.

    So, if you have BH90 hose, and the 2012/13 XTR/XT/SLX do, then you need a barbed insert that is smaller diameter. Thankfully Shimano color code them to make it easy to tell the difference. The ones for the BH90 hose are silver, compared to the gold color of the previous ones.

    By the way, the OD (outside diameter) of the old and new hose is the same, so the old olives will fit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: likeaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    633
    I just bought new sets of 2012 XTR and SLX brakes and I can confirm that the needles and olives are the same bewteen them. And also that they colored the needle silver.

  6. #6
    uh huh
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    23
    yes, they are different

  7. #7
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,206
    I know people that have used the old olives and barbs in the new house. But it just hack work IMPO.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    It's not about the brakes, but about the hose.

    So, if you have BH90 hose... The ones for the BH90 hose are silver, compared to the gold color of the previous ones.

    I recently had to source an olive and needle for my XT brakes fro my 2013 bike (Trance X0 29er) and found this also, it needed the silver barb, which is also shorter than the gold one.

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,500
    But, when you don't have anything else and it's a choice between wait for the right stuff to arrive or make do with what you have, get the brakes working again and be able to ride, I chose the "hack" method. Did this on a friends XTRs when he crashed bad and ripped the hose out of one, has been working fine now for over 3 months.

    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I know people that have used the old olives and barbs in the new house. But it just hack work IMPO.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  10. #10
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,206
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    But, when you don't have anything else and it's a choice between wait for the right stuff to arrive or make do with what you have, get the brakes working again and be able to ride, I chose the "hack" method. Did this on a friends XTRs when he crashed bad and ripped the hose out of one, has been working fine now for over 3 months.
    I agree, and that's why I posted it. But it was a shop that did it and that disappoints me.

  11. #11
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,500
    Yeah, but if it's a small shop or somewhere that doesn't stock these sorts of parts and they can get your bike fixed and riding until the right parts can be ordered in I see no issue, at least they made the effort to fix the problem, if only a temporary solution. Heck I'm not even 100% sure if it was even Shimano stuff I used, might have been a mish mash of Shimano, Avid and/or Hayes, used whatever I could find that would work together - Got one barb to fit in, but then ferule wouldn't fit into the cylinder or something like that, any ways, mixed and matched and got it to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I agree, and that's why I posted it. But it was a shop that did it and that disappoints me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •