mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Shimano Mineral oil alternatives

Can i buy normal mineral oiland use it to bleed my shimano xt m755 brakes? Shimano's stuff is too expensive.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubs
    Can i buy normal mineral oiland use it to bleed my shimano xt m755 brakes? Shimano's stuff is too expensive.

You certainly can but your brakes will never work right. Mineral oil out out the health & beauty section of your favorite retailer is nowhere close to brake fluid. The mineral oil used in brakes is much thinner. Suck it up and spend the $15 on the real stuff.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    use shimano stuff, or you have to switch brake lines and just use DOT fluid, which is $3 a bottle at kragen.

Jackass
    Jan 2004

Power steering fluid

I've used power steering fluid with no problems. They seem to be a bit slower
    to retract, but barely noticeable. I've had it in there for over a year with no
    problems.

ZB
    No hairSShirts.

mtbr member
    I prefer using DOT because it costs nothing and works fine
    also if you get synthetic it will hold constant pressure for a longer time, along with less fade. i picked up some Valvoline SynPower DOT 4 for about $5 and it works a lot better for me than a generic DOT 3.

mtbr member
    A number of people have posted in the past that they have used mineral oil from the hardware shop for years without any problems.

I'm still using the Shímano oil that came with the brakes, so I haven't any first hand experience.

Wombat