mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Shimano Mineral Oil

Is anyone using something besides the ultra expensive Shimano mineral oil in Shimano disc brakes?

I've read that Pentosin CHF 7.1 or Magura Royal Blood can be used. Has anyone had any experience with these replacements?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Smile Finish Line

I have been using Finish Line high performance mineral oil since last summer on my XT 765 brakes and it is just as smooth as the Shimano was. I can't tell a difference except for the fact that it is much less expensive!

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/brake-fluid.htm

It's the axle

Generic mineral oil, here.

Baby oil. Straight from the Dollar store. 99 cents.

I've been using on my XTR brakes for four years. No problem.

I'm getting a brand new bike with new XTR brakes. I really thought about getting that $15 bottle of Shimano oil. Nope. Baby oil is going in these too.

And I might add I do a lot of very long steep downhills. Never a prob.

Meh.
    It is not recommended to use generic mineral oil, you never know what the viscosity might be, or what other additives it may have in it. I would only use it as a last resort.

We have a bottle of the Finish Line stuff at work, works just fine.

I'm not sure, but Shimano may void your warranty if you don't use Shimano mineral oil, I know that Magura voids your warranty if you don't use Magura branded mineral oil.

I-S
    Magurified
    But the Magura stuff isn't stupid money either. I don't see why you couldn't use Magura oil in the shimano brakes.

Meh.
    You can use the Magura oil in Shimano brakes, the viscosity is a little different though.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    But the Magura stuff isn't stupid money either. I don't see why you couldn't use Magura oil in the shimano brakes.
    but even so... you need a little amount of oil.. and you don't need to replace it very often.... I have a small bottle at home..and I have done a set of brakes and I still have oil left to top out a reservoir or 2... I don't spill much oil though (as I use a syringe to fill the system from the caliper up)

I'm not justifying the high price... but I don't mind paying a bit more if I don't need to do it often (besides usually I can get it for less than $15 here in Germany)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI- Cambriabike.com shows a liter of Shimano mineral oil for $20.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Do It Yourself
    Long Live Long Rides

It's the axle
    OK, you convinced me.

You're right about how much is ever used.

And since I do not know the viscosity of Shimano's oil, I'll assume it's less than the baby oil I'm using. Although, I have my suspicion that it's not too different. I'll happily admit that I'm wrong, when I find out.

I still say I've had no problems under the most extreme conditions. But my new build deserves the best. Six grand for a bike, and I can't fork out a few bucks for oil. Shame on me. Haha.

Going for a ride......
    Here's a thought - do you ever buy a box of chocolates? How much per kg do they cost?

It's funny how we really have a sore point on the cost of some things, but if you compared it to how much you pay for some of the everyday products or luxuries you consume at home, it doesn't sound so bad any more.

Shimano oil at least isn't as expensive as buying an avid bleed kit, or a magura bleed kit or a hayes bleed kit which are all significantly more here in Australia compared to shimano oil enough for one bleed.

And on top of that consider the cost of shimano pads (or shimano compatible ones), seems to me they cost alot less than some other brands - so what you save each time you buy a set of pads will buy you a bleed kit (well shimano oil).
    energetix