mtbr member
    Apr 2005

shimano master cylinder rebuild /kits instructions

Is it possible to swap internals from left to right master cylinders?

I have a new unused spare to use as parts and suspect that somebody running dot 5 instead of organic oil has damaged the internals.

As far as I am aware shimano does not make rebiuld kits for the M525 levers or issue instuctions....

I had completely flushed and replaced the system with the correct fluid on a brake bleed but after a road test the spongyness returned.

when pushing fluid though a syringe at the caliper servere resistance is encountered, and no flow to the lever, but I have flow to and through the caliper when I pump the lever .

I could hook up the complete spare lever to test my theroy but if I am correct then what?

I'm totaly stumped?????

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would hook the complete lever set to test your theory. If you're correct, begin taking the damaged lever apart (it's dead anyways) to see what's in there. You can check out rebuild instructions for other brake systems to have a feel for it before starting too.

...idios...
    Shimano brakes aren't user-serviceable - the seal kits are not available for retail. If it needs to be overhauled, it'll have to be sent back to Shimano (or their service center).

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Cambria has M535 lever, caliper and hose sets for $30. This might be simplest option.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...LIC+DISC+BRAKE

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks guys for your input,I will hook up and test new lever to eliminate problem,and pull other old one apart for inspection.
    I need to find a solution although the owner (brother in law) has his mind set on up grading to somthing else now...

Members who have read this thread: 1