undercover brother

Shimano M785s leaking at Master Cylinder?

I installed my new m785s the other night. I had to cut the lines and bleed them, that went well. However, there seems to be a leak in the cover on the master cylinder where the lid meets. After the inital bleed is was oozing out every lever pull, then slowly started decreasing. I pulled them this morning before I headed to work and a tiny, tiny amount still came out. The levers feel great, but is this normal?? I can't find anything on this. The other brake seems to be working just fine, no leaks except for the initial superfluous oil. I can also hear a small amount of a suction/release in the initial lever pull by where the leak seems to be occurring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check the bolts holding down the cover and make sure both of them are snugged down. I've seen a set of M596 brakes (same cover design) with a similar leak, it went away after I tightened down the torx bolt near the hose end of the cover.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Check the bolts holding down the cover and make sure both of them are snugged down. I've seen a set of M596 brakes (same cover design) with a similar leak, it went away after I tightened down the torx bolt near the hose end of the cover.
    Do you know the size of the torx bolt, I have all the torx EXCEPT THAT SMALL SIZE!? It seemed tight, but I'm maybe thinking that I will loosen then retighten. Will all the oil come spilling out if I do this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The torx bolt should be a T-10. I just went to my friend's shop to test it out, that's what it is on the M596 and SLX brakes. They didn't have a bike with M785 brakes on it to confirm it but I'd imagine it should be the same. You can loosen it about 1-2 turns without any oil spilling out, more than that and I can't guarantee anything.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I've read that it is normal...its built in overflow. Mine did that when I cut the lines and rebled....but that lasted a day or two and its been perfect since.

The oil will not come "splling out" If there is too much fluid, a few drops might seep out.

I did have a mishap on my first attempt at resizing the hoses. When installing the cable to the lever witht he new olive, I did not properly seat the new olive correctly and got oil seeping out of the cable lever junction. I had use another new olive and rebleed, but that was not difficult to do at all.

undercover brother
    The rear will not stop seeping. I contacted shimano and will be sending them back for warranty.

screamer
    Tangaroo: Did you ever have a resolution to this issue? My XT 785s just started doing this while I was bleeding them, and continues to seep with every lever pull. I'm giving Shimano a buzz in the morning, but just curious to hear what your experience was. Thanks!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have the same issue. Id like to hear what the resolution is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Tangaroo: Did you ever have a resolution to this issue? My XT 785s just started doing this while I was bleeding them, and continues to seep with every lever pull. I'm giving Shimano a buzz in the morning, but just curious to hear what your experience was. Thanks!
    The brake was warrantie by Shimano, and I have had zero issues since. Once you get these things working properly, they are amazing.

screamer
    Thanks!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy