mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Shimano M785 XT brake lever squeezes all the way to grip

Took a nasty spill today on my Juice...luckily my bike landed in a large patch of leaves (unfortunately, I did not). The only thing I noticed that wasnt right after the wreck was that my front brake lever pulls all the way to the grip if pumped a couple times....obviously, not normal...there isn't a single scratch on the brake lever or the caliper and the cable is still perfect....what would this indicate?
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Took a nasty spill today on my Juice...luckily my bike landed in a large patch of leaves (unfortunately, I did not). The only thing I noticed that wasnt right after the wreck was that my front brake lever pulls all the way to the grip if pumped a couple times....obviously, not normal...there isn't a single scratch on the brake lever or the caliper and the cable is still perfect....what would this indicate?
    It must have sucked in a air bubble for some weird reason. I can't image why.

Try bleeding the brakes and see if it happens again. If so, look for leaked fluid somewhere.

BTW, if you don't pay $2 for an ad in the classifieds, your signature might be flagged as spam.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    It must have sucked in a air bubble for some weird reason. I can't image why.

Try bleeding the brakes and see if it happens again. If so, look for leaked fluid somewhere.

BTW, if you don't pay $2 for an ad in the classifieds, your signature might be flagged as spam.
    Thanks...no better time to learn how to bleed brakes, I suppose....Also, I paid for my ad...Appreciate the heads up.

mtbr member
    Are you sure you aren't leaking fluid at the banjo fitting at the caliper? XT 785 have been notorious for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Are you sure you aren't leaking fluid at the banjo fitting at the caliper? XT 785 have been notorious for that.
    Not 100% sure but I dont see any fluid leaking from the caliper. I assume I would see actual fluid, right? I am just going to take it into my LBS tomorrow...Don't want to screw anything up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There was a slight leak from the cable going into the lever. backcountry.com is overnighting me a replacement at no charge and gave me a label to ship the other one back. +1

mtbr member
    I have some similar problems with my back brake - at one point I hit my brakes to scrub some speed and my back lever hit the bars. Fortunately it didnt cause an accident but scared the heck out of me. And I have bled them to death- I have bled brakes many times and these have been the most temperamental.

If the leak is appearing at the lever end It would go almost unnoticed. I am going to check tonight - most likely ordering new lines anyways.