mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Shimano M785 flipped levers?

Right.

I probably should be doing this, but I'm somewhat skeptical that I'm ever going to get the Avid Elixir 1s on my new X-cal to actually work effectively, not scream, and not vibrate the hell out of the bike. LBS is working with Avid on it, but I'm an impatient cuss.

Looks like the M785 Shimano XTs are on sale over at Bluesky, and at an attractive price. I can get a set and install them.

However -- I VASTLY prefer right front. My Avid's flipped easily. Before I decide to spend money I probably shouldn't on new brakes, can someone confirm that I can install the XTs right front?

If I can't -- is there a recommendation for a relatively affordable brake that I can easily flip, that won't shake the bike and vibrate my nut sack when I use them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh. And. Can I (for now) keep the Avid rotors, or best to replace the whole kit and kaboodle.

mtbr member
    Various threads on here about how easy Shimanos are to bleed. And often the lines can be shortened without the need for a bleed. You should be able to flip the hose between the levers without issues. (Maybe have a barb and compression olive on hand just in case).

Rotors should be fine as well.

Plays with tools
    There has never been a brake on the market that you couldn't run right front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have been running M988 (XTR) with front right braking for a while. It's a straightforward install according to the LBS. Switch hoses, trim if necessary and re-bleed.
    Last edited by Sssteveyoung; 09-18-2013 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Truth.

I ride motorcycles a lot, and I still have no interest in right front braking on my bicycle. Why? Because the left lever isn't a clutch, and there's no foot lever on the right for rear brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's what I thought. Swapping hoses makes sense; lazy bugger that I am I just wanted to flip the levers around. It looks like you can do the lever-side swap with the SLX M675, but NOT with the XT M785s. Swap hoses, bleed, and away I go by the sound of things. Is the XT worth it over the SLX? (A common question)

(Is it wrong that I'm unconcerned with doing these on the motorbike, but the theoretically simpler bicycle has me scratching my head)

As to other folks not wanting to flip brakes -- I get it. I'm just a front braker, and I want my hand to use the correct lever. Different strokes, I guess??

mtbr member
    If you swapped the lever the reservoir cover would then be inverted, which would be an issue the next time you wanted to bleed your brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    If you swapped the lever the reservoir cover would then be inverted, which would be an issue the next time you wanted to bleed your brakes.
    'Just maybe', right. Thanks for the advice; swapping hoses doesn't sound too hard. If CRC is getting right-front in stock any time soon, I'll wait and hit the EZ-button, otherwise it's off to do some swapping.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    It would be an issue long before that. The reservoir is there to adjust for pad wear and fluid expansion, if it's upside down it won't do either very well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It would be an issue long before that. The reservoir is there to adjust for pad wear and fluid expansion, if it's upside down it won't do either very well.
    Purchased and installed; gonna flip the hoses when I get back into town.

So far, so much nicer on a test ride. Pads and rotors are still bedding in, but the heinous squeal and vibration is gone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well.

All done. Worth the price of admission. Much better braking, better modulation, better 'feel' and as the icing in the cake -- blessed silence.

Thanks to all for the advice in this thread.