mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Shimano M596 vs M615

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking into upgrading from the Tektro Novelas on my Trek Marlin. It seems that the Shimano Deore M596 hydraulics are a good value. While looking online, I found that Merlin Cycle carries the M615, which appear to be the 2013 Deore hydraulic brakes. However, the M596 are about $15 cheaper with shipping for a set from Chain Reaction Cycle. My problem is that I haven't been able to find any real technical documentation on the M615s. So, I was wondering if anyone happened to know if
    A) The M615s are worth the extra cost (I'm inclined to believe they are)
    B) If the M615s are different than the M596, besides the added capability for IceTech pads
    and C) if I'll have any trouble with customs or any import fees with shipping the brakes from Merlin Cycle (In the UK, I believe?) to the US.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm also considering the 615s. I put 596s on my wife's bike and am blown away by how much better thhey are than my elixer 5s.

GO BLUE!!
    From what I can see the only thing that is different between the two sets is the caliper. The M596 shares the same caliper as the M595. Whereas, the M615 seems to have the capability to run the newer ice tech pads. However, the M615 doesn't have the banjo bolt hose connection like the SLX on up have. The levers appear to be the same, though the m615 has an all black lever option (which I want). Looks like I might be getting the M615 set as well.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    Whereas, the M615 seems to have the capability to run the newer ice tech pads.
    My heckler came with the 615 and I want to upgrade the front rotor from 180 to 203mm and was thinking about going with a icetech rotor.

Can someone confirm that you can do that?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    is $160 a good price for the m615's and would you recommend them over the m596? They are going on stock Tektro rotors....novela mechanicals suck

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For $120 you can get a set of m666 SLX brakes from BlueSky.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake w/ Adapter

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSpringer View Post
    For $120 you can get a set of m666 SLX brakes from BlueSky.
    They only have front's in stock though...
    I was looking at Merlin for the M615 but reviews are saying they ship as left/rear, right/front. I'm tempted to get them anyways since I'll most likely need to cut down the cables anyways and can just switch them to left/front, right/rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm pretty sure the stock pad for the M-615 is the B01S resin.

For what its worth, I'm using a B01S pad in my current gen XT caliper without issue. I only had to put about 1.5mm of washers under the caliper as the hole for the pad fixing screw/cotter pin is about that much further away from the pad compound as it is on the F03C Ice Tech pads which the caliper is designed for (ie, the pads rubbed too close to the center of the rotor without the washers).

I'm using that one because we had a ton of those at work and my Ice Tech pads got contaminated.

It also looks like the E01S pad is the metallic version of the B01S.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just swapped out the stock everything on my new XCaliber 5 for a Deore 2014 set (10 speed) and it came with these 615 brakes. I can say the difference is night and day. You can be blasting downhill on fire roads and still brake with one finger. On rough stuff I use two. They are excellent.

Definitely superb quality and stopping power and NO SQUEALING! They are quiet. I am very glad I upgraded.