mtbr member
    May 2014

Shimano m596 braking power...not sure

I had Tektro Draco and Auriga pro brakes up front (160mm rotor) and they felt very strong and a harder pull on the lever would send me flying over the bar in a sec. Now I have m596 deore brakes and I'm not sure if they are working as they should. Acc. to some online tests they should brake harder but no matter how hard i pull on the lever i can't get that OTB inducing rear wheel lift (wheel lock-up ). Also they squeal on harder action. Setup is on same wheels, same rotors and same brake pads (Superstar) and they've been ridden 100+ km. What should I check on the brakes? I can't see any leaks on the hose.

For other users of m596 on a 160 rotor; can you lockup your front wheel?

Magically Delicious
    I have the XT's, and can easily do a one finger, front brake lock...you should be able to do the same on the 596's.

Is the lever firm or squishy? Does it feel like contamination on the pads or rotor?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sounds like a set up and bedding issue. And i hope not same pads besides same manufacturer. But being able to easily lock up the front wheel = stupidity.

Make sure caliper is properly centered, rotors are properly cleaned etc. Plenty of YouTube videos for instructions how to do it.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Lever is a bit squishy, can't force all the way down though. Rotors and pads are clean 100%. can't lock down no matter how hard i pull, there's always a little play (hence the squeak)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    how much do you weigh? How long descents? Shimano brakes are awesome. I hear a lot of people complain about most every brand of brake (especially Avid), but the # of complaints on Shimano's latest discs are lower than the other brands from what I've seen.

I've ridden a lot of Shimano discs. To me they all perform the same, the main difference is looks and the XT and XTRs are lighter. XT/XTR have some adjustability on the lever that the lower models don't have, but that's a "Feel" thing.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a bleed issue. There is always a bit of play with levers released till pads contact rotors. I'm 265lbs on a 29er, 160mm rear 180mm front and rear brake can dump my ass off the seat onto the tt easily and fronts can flip me on my face no problem. And that's only m446 (cheaper, less power, smaller pads). Seriously sounds like u have air in there or glazed the hell outta the front pads.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    To me it sounds more like a contamination of pads/rotors problem. You can try bleeding the brakes to isolate the problem. I have the same brakes and they are "powerful enough" meaning I've never felt the need for anything more powerful although I'm not sure if they're strong enough to throw me over the bars on flat terrain.. never tried it really.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernas View Post
    To me it sounds more like a contamination of pads/rotors problem. You can try bleeding the brakes to isolate the problem. I have the same brakes and they are "powerful enough" meaning I've never felt the need for anything more powerful although I'm not sure if they're strong enough to throw me over the bars on flat terrain.. never tried it really.
    Hey, thanks Jernas, that's what I needed to hear. Just wondered how others feel on their performance. I also have a feeling they stop me good enough, with a lot of modulation. Had another bleed this morning, Cleaned the rotor, recalibrated the caliper and went for another ride, squeeling's gone 98%, lever is nice and firm.

thank you all for your answers, I'm just a paranoid noob

mtbr member
    No worries man, u had a right to be concerned, Shimano brakes are the best so if they aren't stopping something isn't right. Sounds like a mix of a bit of air and caliper was off center. Should have mentioned that being u said squeeling...had same issue with mine cause I forgot to tighten lower bolt all the way so caliper moved a hair.

Best of luck enjoy the new brakes. If power is still lacking, take some brake parts cleaner carefully (while removed) to the pads and rotor. Then rebed them. If you got any fluid or grease in there the brake parts cleaner will wash it out.

Trek Marlin 29er