At Work

Shimano LX V Brakes - galling Rims

Bought these brakes used about 2 years ago, never really used them, built up a hardtail with them. Last week I decided to take this bike out (mainly use it to pull my little girl around the neighborhood). Well, the brakes were making this terrible sound, not brake squeal. Got home, looked at the pads, looked like pieces of metal/alum in-bedded in the pads. Got to looking at the side of my Rhinolite rims, and they look like they have been put through a lathe. Any ideas?

ballbuster

seen that before

Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Bought these brakes used about 2 years ago, never really used them, built up a hardtail with them. Last week I decided to take this bike out (mainly use it to pull my little girl around the neighborhood). Well, the brakes were making this terrible sound, not brake squeal. Got home, looked at the pads, looked like pieces of metal/alum in-bedded in the pads. Got to looking at the side of my Rhinolite rims, and they look like they have been put through a lathe. Any ideas?
    ... not sure its all that unusual. You don't have green ceramic rim pads on there, do ya?

Anyway, that happened to my Bontrager rims with machined sides with regular brake pads. RIm brakes, it happens. The RhynoLite is a pinned rim, IIRC. How is the rim joint? Is it even on both sides?

I Love my Rize

No good Dump that garbage

Change the pads immediately. Those LX pads are the worst rim eater pads made. I would go to a Koolstop salmon mtn pad and they WILL NOT EAT YOUR RIM.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Brake-Pads.htm
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    Change the pads immediately. Those LX pads are the worst rim eater pads made. I would go to a Koolstop salmon mtn pad and they WILL NOT EAT YOUR RIM.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Brake-Pads.htm
    +1 - Shimano pads are notorious for eating rims.
    Avid Rim Wranglers, Koolstop pads, SwissStop, are all better alternatives. Just make sure not to get the ones for ceramic rims if your rims aren't ceramic.

All pads will eat rims though and they will all pick up bits of metal.

At Work
    in 17 years I have never seen this......... Yes, slowly they eat away at the rims, but these wheels might have 30 miles on them, they now look like they are 10 years old and been ridden hard. Picked up AVID's today.