mtbr member

Shimano LX to Formula K18

Howdy All,

I'm riding Shimano LX hydraulic disk brakes right now and am not happy with the performance when the temperatures dip below freezing. I'm thinking about the formula k18, they seem to get very good reviews. To switch can I keep my shimano IS adapter and shimano disk, or do I have to use all formula parts? And I read that Formulas are all post mounted, so will my IS mounts work with the Formulas? I've never gotten new brakes for my bike so I don't know how much the parts are interchangeable. Thanks for any help, and if anyone would like to send any feedback on k18s I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    MR
    It's always downhill....It just depends which direction you're going

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If your LX calipers...

are IS mount then no you won't be able to use the adpaters for the post mount K18s. You'll need post to IS adaptors for them. As far as the rotors go it's hard to say. It depends on the style/model year of the rotors. Shimano with they're earlier disc brakes used a rather narrow braking track and brake pad. Most other manufacturers used pads that were wider so their brake pads were/are actaully be wider than the braking surface on the Shimano rotors by a significant amount. Depending on how and where the pad make contact with the rotor, the difference can cause problems. All you can do it try em and see. Most newer Shimano rotors will work with other brake calipers.

The easiest and most dependable way of ensuring compatability is to go with the complete Formula set up, unless we're talking centerlock rotors, then you're pretty much stuck unless you go with adapters for the rotors. With mix and match you always run the chance of compatability issues. You never know until you get all the stuff together and try it.

Anyway I'd suggest the complete Formula set up, no compatability issues there. Then you can Ebay your LX brakes as a complete set, calipers, master cylinder, rotors, and lock rings (if center lock) to recoup some of the cost of the upgrade. That sets you up for a win/win situation. No compatability issues, and a little cash back as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"