Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    greedy

Shimano Ice Tech Fixing Washer

Just got my Ice Tech 6 bolt rotors for my new build. I went to mount them and when I looked thru the instructions for torque specs I noticed that they show a "fixing washer" that goes on before the tightening plates and bolts. Problem is that my rotors did not come with these fixing washers. They are brand new, in sealed boxes. Any thoughts? Do I need them? Has Shimano discontinued their use?

Helmetless Crasher
    My 203 icetech recently came in shimano packaging w/out fixing washer, too. A slightly different type of nut/retainer system, too - not the "bend-backs".
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

greedy
    Mine too. I read that a lot of people weren't liking the triangle headed bolts, so maybe they changed it up. I just put it together with what they sent me. Maybe it won't blow up.

Helmetless Crasher
    mine seems to be working fine
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yep. Same here. Noooo fixing washer. I'm going to guess that this would be the adapter if you were mounting to cl's. Hope so anyway. Wish me luck. These things are to expensive to mess up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a set of Ice Tech 6-bolt as well. I've ridden my bike with them for close to 300 miles without the fixing washer. Absolutely no problems with them at all.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ditto here. I'm installing a set today, and there are no fixing washers. Given that none of you guys has re-posted here that your brakes vibrated apart on a long downhill, I am guessing it is a re-design (or none of you survived the catastrophic brake malfunction).

How about updating the directions, Shimano? Searching by part number on Shimano's web site does link to instructions that do not reference the washer, but still...

mtbr member
    Just received and installed a pair this weekend with no fixing washer. I'm guess the installation instructions are out of date. Game on!

Plays with tools
    Shimano came up with that system because they knew that your average bike shop, much less consumer wouldn't take the time to safety wire their rotor bolts. It's good insurance to make sure your bolts stay put. Even if you have one come out, you've got 5 more. Some of the WW types run three bolts on purpose without issue in XC applications. If all of your bolts come out it's a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    New SM-RT86 rotors from Jensen. The 180mm came with silver fixing washer and tightening plates x 3, with the triangle head bolts mentioned above, exactly as shown in the tech docs. My 203mm however did not include a fixing washer, the tightening plates are black with a different style tab, and the bolts are have rounded heads, not the triangle type.

Seems like the consensus is to just use the included hardware w/o the fixing washer for mounting.

Nobody has had any issues when mounting without the washer?

Trying to decide if I should try and get a washer or just go ahead and install?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    I bought both 180 and 203mm rotors from Jenson and neither came with the silver fixing washer. Both came with the rounded head bolts and 3 black tabbed plates. Just installed what I was provided and no issues. From what I have read, the fixing washer was the old style that has been discontinued. Would have been nice of Shimano to update their documentation so there isn't so much confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Still running my ice techs without the fixing washer. Lots of miles and some long decents without any issues.

mtbr member
    mine did not come with one as well...=/
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaBen View Post
    Still running my ice techs without the fixing washer. Lots of miles and some long decents without any issues.
    Same here.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    If all of your bolts come out it's a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.
    LOL, that comment brought a chuckle to my face. I think Shimano is being extra conservative liability wise with these retainer washers. Witness the little detent that you have to depress to open the clamp on the XT M785 brake levers. Absolutely no need for that except for the lawyers. If your brake levers come open while riding because you didn't tighten them properly it's definitely a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.

Torque the rotor bolts to spec, with a bit of blue Loctite if you're really concerned and anal, and enjoy the ride. (I'm not concerned about them vibrating out, but I am anal like that so I did use the blue loctite on the threads, like I do when working on my car and securing critical fasteners.)

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    Torque the rotor bolts to spec, with a bit of blue Loctite if you're really concerned and anal, and enjoy the ride. (I'm not concerned about them vibrating out, but I am anal like that so I did use the blue loctite on the threads, like I do when working on my car and securing critical fasteners.)
    Not anal enough to refer to the loctite product number though. Referring to a thread retaining compound solely by it's color is pointless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not anal enough to refer to the loctite product number though. Referring to a thread retaining compound solely by it's color is pointless.
    The standard medium strength blue loctite. The found in every auto parts store.
    Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    The standard medium strength blue loctite. The found in every auto parts store.
    Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives
    That's more like it. It's nowhere close to being 'standard' though. It is the common one found in many hardware stores though. Loctite does a few thousand products and a little less than 1/3 of them are blue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just got my 203 rotor and is without washer. I'm only concern if the rotor won't deviate or brake on the black central part. Work fine so far on the road. I'll see on Enduro ride what'll happen

Helmetless Crasher
    That's more like it. It's nowhere close to being 'standard' though. It is the common one found in many hardware stores though. Loctite does a few thousand products and a little less than 1/3 of them are blue.
    They make 3 main thread-locking products, blue, red and green. Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives

They then also make "special" versions of their "standard" threadlockers for high-temp applications and other special uses. Most people understand "blue loctite" to mean their "standard" or "general purpose" blue threadlocker product, and "red loctite" to mean their "standard" or "general purpose" red threadlocker product.
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 12-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    They make 3 main thread-locking products, blue, red and green. Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives

They then also make "special" versions of their "standard" threadlockers for high-temp applications and other special uses. Most people understand "blue loctite" to mean their "standard" or "general purpose" blue threadlocker product, and "red loctite" to mean their "standard" or "general purpose" red threadlocker product.
    I keep two different green colored loctite products around. One is 680 the other is 290. You wouldn't want to get them mixed up. The 680 is a bearing retaining compound and the 290 is a wicking medium strength thread retainer. I also carry 248 instead of 242. Chemically its the same thing, but 248 is in glue stick like packaging.

Search 'blue' on the page you linked and you come up with 52 results. You absolutely need to refer to a number. I'm sure the guys at loctite don't think it's possible to sum their catalog of a few thousand sku's down to three colors.

If you want to simplify your life by keeping 2 or 3 different products around and referring to them by color that's great. But some of us need more than 3 different compounds and realize there are thousands to choose from.

Helmetless Crasher
    I keep two different green colored loctite products around. One is 680 the other is 290. You wouldn't want to get them mixed up. The 680 is a bearing retaining compound and the 290 is a wicking medium strength thread retainer. I also carry 248 instead of 242. Chemically its the same thing, but 248 is in glue stick like packaging.

Search 'blue' on the page you linked and you come up with 52 results. You absolutely need to refer to a number. I'm sure the guys at loctite don't think it's possible to sum their catalog of a few thousand sku's down to three colors.

If you want to simplify your life by keeping 2 or 3 different products around and referring to them by color that's great. But some of us need more than 3 different compounds and realize there are thousands to choose from.
    No, I hear ya - I have a wide variety of "specialty" loctite products on the shelf in my garage, also, including bearing retention compounds, high-temp and oil-resistant threadlockers, etc.

But generally speaking, when it comes to bolt threads - people know what "loctite blue" and "loctite red" refers to: the loctite general purpose thread locking compounds found at the local store. So much so, that permatex sells/markets its thread locking compounds as blue/red, also. Threadlockers.

In the world of thread lockers, "standard blue" is very discriptive. People understand that the blue threadlocker is the "easy remova"l variety, and "standard" just means the general purpose type with no special properties.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Just got mine and no fixing plate, either. I was also surprised in the instructions on the lack (maybe intentional) info on aligning the calipers and bedding the pads. It just says to loosen the caliper mounting bolts, squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts. Maybe I'm just used to the lengthy instructions for crap Avid hydro's. ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've got enough miles on my cyclocross bike without the fingers washer that iI am no longer worried about it. iI do agree shimano needs to update their to he confusion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Building my Gunnar Ruffian and was stumped tonight with the lack of the plate for the rotors. Thanks everyone for the insight. I'll go with the blue locktite as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast