Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano Ice Tech Fixing Washer

31K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  MicksElplix 
#1 ·
Just got my Ice Tech 6 bolt rotors for my new build. I went to mount them and when I looked thru the instructions for torque specs I noticed that they show a "fixing washer" that goes on before the tightening plates and bolts. Problem is that my rotors did not come with these fixing washers. They are brand new, in sealed boxes. Any thoughts? Do I need them? Has Shimano discontinued their use?

#7 ·
Ditto here. I'm installing a set today, and there are no fixing washers. Given that none of you guys has re-posted here that your brakes vibrated apart on a long downhill, I am guessing it is a re-design (or none of you survived the catastrophic brake malfunction). ;)

How about updating the directions, Shimano? Searching by part number on Shimano's web site does link to instructions that do not reference the washer, but still...

#9 ·
Shimano came up with that system because they knew that your average bike shop, much less consumer wouldn't take the time to safety wire their rotor bolts. It's good insurance to make sure your bolts stay put. Even if you have one come out, you've got 5 more. Some of the WW types run three bolts on purpose without issue in XC applications. If all of your bolts come out it's a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.

#15 ·
If all of your bolts come out it's a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.
LOL, that comment brought a chuckle to my face. I think Shimano is being extra conservative liability wise with these retainer washers. Witness the little detent that you have to depress to open the clamp on the XT M785 brake levers. Absolutely no need for that except for the lawyers. If your brake levers come open while riding because you didn't tighten them properly it's definitely a sign from the cycling Buddha that you are not qualified to work on your own bike.

Torque the rotor bolts to spec, with a bit of blue Loctite if you're really concerned and anal, and enjoy the ride. (I'm not concerned about them vibrating out, but I am anal like that so I did use the blue loctite on the threads, like I do when working on my car and securing critical fasteners.)

#10 ·
New SM-RT86 rotors from Jensen. The 180mm came with silver fixing washer and tightening plates x 3, with the triangle head bolts mentioned above, exactly as shown in the tech docs. My 203mm however did not include a fixing washer, the tightening plates are black with a different style tab, and the bolts are have rounded heads, not the triangle type.

Seems like the consensus is to just use the included hardware w/o the fixing washer for mounting.

Nobody has had any issues when mounting without the washer?

Trying to decide if I should try and get a washer or just go ahead and install?

Thanks for the input!

#11 ·
I bought both 180 and 203mm rotors from Jenson and neither came with the silver fixing washer. Both came with the rounded head bolts and 3 black tabbed plates. Just installed what I was provided and no issues. From what I have read, the fixing washer was the old style that has been discontinued. Would have been nice of Shimano to update their documentation so there isn't so much confusion.

#23 ·
Just got mine and no fixing plate, either. I was also surprised in the instructions on the lack (maybe intentional) info on aligning the calipers and bedding the pads. It just says to loosen the caliper mounting bolts, squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts. Maybe I'm just used to the lengthy instructions for crap Avid hydro's. ;-)

#26 ·
Was the new style screws and attaching devices the only change in the updated rotors? Are these what they consider V2?
I just got a 180 from Nashbar that was supposed to be V2 but it sounds like it has all the old hardware.
I'm still waiting for my 160 too get here.

#30 ·
Hi, i received one of my ice-tec rotors today and that also doesn't have the fixing washer. However mine has also come with only 2 tightening plates instead of 3. Will it be safe to use it with just 2 until a replacement is sent? As i'm really impatient and want to get testing my new brakes and rotors. It is the rotor for the rear brake so it won't be being put under a great deal of pressure.
Thanks.

#31 ·
I found the same thing a couple months ago when I bought a pair of 160's. I noticed on the back side of the bolt heads there are fine serrations that engage with the little tab on the tightening plates. I guess they just didn't bother to update the instructions.

#37 ·
I purchased Ice Tech rotors from two dealers on eBay. The 180mm came with the 3 black tightening plates & the 160mm came in a box with 3 tightening washers of a different style plus the larger silver washer. I saved about $7 per rotor plus postage (another $10 or so)..

Am I understanding correctly that newer rotors are only using the black plates & that some of you are ditching all of it and just using the bolts?

I haven't purchased the M785 brakes yet. Plan on doing that later in the month. I hope...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.