mtbr member
    Feb 2004

shimano HYDRO M-555 good enough for...

furious XC/free ride style i eared that they r one of the best hydro for quality/price,a lot of bike shops aroud sell it for like 230$ can/pair tx incl (but im not a 100% sure for the tx). Feel free to reply anything u think about this brake set.
    thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

No good eh.... ok

I have two bikes i've been riding up here in Vancouver, BC - an XC bike with Avid mechanical disks and a more "freeridey" bike with deore hydros (i think what you are talking about).

Just about the ONLY thing the deore hydros have over the avids is the rear brake cable never gets gritty (but this could easily be solved with full housing if i cared). I've found the hydros less adjustable, more finicky, a little less powerful, and simply generally dissapointing after coming off the avids. Having said that, i don't really care enough to drop the coin to change them. I can still do nose wheelies (kinda) if i want, so i'm not sure how much more power i want, but i would prefer more adjustability than these offer...

Just my thoughts, i am sure many will disagree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

im talking about hydro and u about cable??? get lost...

it not caus i said "feel free to reply..." that u damn noob can just reply some lamer stupidity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullfury
    it not caus i said "feel free to reply..." that u damn noob can just reply some lamer stupidity

Whoa! First of all, learn to talk/type! I can barely figure out what you are saying.

Second of all, why the attack on GMF? He does not sound like a noobie to me, and who cares if he is? His discussion with the cable brakes was relvant to your question. He has the brakes you are asking about, and Avid Mechanical brakes. In comparing the two, he feels the Shimano brakes are adequate, but the Avids are better. Most people like to hear real world experience like that.

There's no app for this.

Yeah I have them

on my Enduro and ride some Norshore Vancouver rougher terrain, but I'm very reluctant to tell you how they work for fear of getting a response I care not to get. I won't even compare them to the Louise, Hope M4, and Gustavs I also have.

Lighten up, it's part of the deal to post here.

here's a site to help you: http://www.iespell.com

Jim MCM #11

There's no app for this.

dang this format

this is a response to the original poster, not Polk, my bad, Jim

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

Just wasting bandwidth for ego gratification...

Polk, thank you for understanding my post

I havn't been called a newbie in cycling for a looooong time, and i've been hanging out on mtbr since about '94... Not tons of experience with disks like some of your guys, though. So far i like 'em! (except for that whole occasional squealing thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Second of all, why the attack on GMF? He does not sound like a noobie to me, and who cares if he is? His discussion with the cable brakes was relvant to your question. He has the brakes you are asking about, and Avid Mechanical brakes. In comparing the two, he feels the Shimano brakes are adequate, but the Avids are better. Most people like to hear real world experience like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullfury
    just for that stupid ass response, here's my reply. I have them (or do I?) and I can tell you that they are a tremendous value (or are they?). The Deores are definitely suitable for light freeride(maybe not?). Now go spend that hard earned $230 and find out if I'm lying.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble