mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Shimano hydraulic brake problem

I currently have 2008 xt hydraulic brakes on my Santa Cruz. Brakes work great until the temp. goes below 40degrees F. There is on longer any play in the brake levers. Brakes work but all or none. I called Shimano and they acknowledge there is a problem with a seal in the master cylinder.No fix and it sounds like there will be no fix. Also effects XTR. Noone in my area (upstate NY) has heard of this. Very strange, Has anyone else experienced this with 08 brakes

...idios...
    Welcome to MTBR. You'll most likely get more of a response in the Brake Time forum (link), so try a X-post.

However, if Shimano acknowledge a manufacturing problem and you're the original owner then you could just demand a return.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the reply Have your known anyone to get anywhere with Shimano in regards to refund or new mechandise

...idios...
    Not personally, but I don't see how they can refuse. They've already acknowledged that there's a fault, therefore the product is not suitable for you, so they should arrange a refund/replacement. Did the brakes come on a new bike or have you bought them aftermarket?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Mine went from having the problem you speak of to sticking open (IE: brake lever does nothing). I am starting to REALLY miss my Hayes Nines.

You could try bleeding them ... this sorta fixed my problem for like a day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is a quite elaborate discussion on this issue on a german forum. Basic conclusion is that the piston seals are the problem and that at some point in time earlier this year they changed to a different kind of rubber for the seals. You should have Shimano replace the seals and everything should be ok at low temps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks. Will give Shimano a call a see where it gets me. Do you know the site in question? Is it in German ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cascades
    There is a quite elaborate discussion on this issue on a german forum. Basic conclusion is that the piston seals are the problem and that at some point in time earlier this year they changed to a different kind of rubber for the seals. You should have Shimano replace the seals and everything should be ok at low temps.
    is this on all their 08 brakes? is it the MC Seals and the Caliper seals ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is in German indeed, here is a link to the thread. In short the conclusion was that the seals of the calipers were at fault, hardening at low temps. Some talked about permanent damage to the seals, i.e. not returning to normal at room temp. The problem then is that the seals don't operate as a 'spring' anymore that retracts the pads a small distance from the disc after braking. Shimano seemed to have started to use another kind of rubber for the seals around the march/april 2008 timeframe. There are also reports of faulty LX and XTR calipers in that thread.

mtbr member
    When you say Shimano changed seals March/April 08, was this to the good or the bad seals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They have changed to a seal that copes better with cold temperatures. No idea how other characteristics of the seal are influenced. I don't ride Shimanos myself, so no first hand experience, this is what was stated in the German thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Shimano brakes

As an update...Casades is correct it is the seal in the calipers and Shimano will retro fit to the new rubber under warranty if you send them the caliper.