ballbuster

Shimano Hose cuttable?

I have an older Shimano XT M755 (4 piston) caliper I want to replace with a newer LX caliper. I know all the Shimano hydraulic stuff is interchangeable except for the fittings. Basically, the 4 pot caliper brake pads drag like crazy. They won't retract much.

I have a braided metal covered hose with the wrong fitting. I was hoping to find the correct fitting and shorten the hose at the same time. The end does not look like its removable. The ends I have seen before have a cover/clamp with hex flats on it so you can use a wrench to loosen it. Not this hose.

I've done my Hope hoses in the past. Those are easy peasy.

I probably should just go buy the right hose, but I don't want to spend any more money on this bike build. My wife is hardly going to ride it anyway. Alternatively, does anybody have a line on cheap hoses? Maybe an industrial source or something?

wyrd bi ful rd
    I guess as long as you have the right fittings for it ... they should all be cuttable. Goodridge does the fittings that you can use with the braided hose ...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the LX caliper has a 0 degree connector, so you will need to cut the hose and put the appropriate connector.

on the hose...if you look around you may find a good price on the shimano plastic hoses (if metallic is not a must) and the fittings are included.

nnn
    mtbr member
    It's a shame you're passing up the 755's though, you tried any remedies for those pistons ? You may just be surprised how good those brakes are despite their age

Meh.
    You should float those calipers in my direction then. Heheh.

ballbuster

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    It's a shame you're passing up the 755's though, you tried any remedies for those pistons ? You may just be surprised how good those brakes are despite their age

I spent lots of time trying to get them to stop rubbing. Never could get it. Other than that, they were killer brakes. I have never had a brake grab that hard before and still have good modulation.

It was just the pad clearance was so tight between the pad and rotors that they would always rub. I played with 0.2mm shims all day long, I tried to fool the seals into sticking further back, I tried cleaning and lubing the seals with Shimano brake fluid... just about everything I can think of short of new seals. I've heard that this model is just like that, and this is normal.

Also, they are IS brakes and I'm installing them on my wife's bike with a post mount fork.

WHere does one buy Goodridge fittings? The fitting on there now uses an M6 banjo bolt to hold it on. The LX caliper I have takes the next size up, assuming an M8 size banjo bolt. Are there different sizes for different diameter hose?

Anyway, I got a front V-brake on there for now. I still need to build a disc front wheel anyway. I had an orange ano rim on there with a disc hub, but the wife vetoed that one real fast!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

WHere does one buy Goodridge fittings?
    if you don't find any source closer to you, try chainreactioncycles.com